Thread: Warman pickups. Any experience or thoughts on them?

Warman pickups. Any experience or thoughts on them?

Spotted these Warman "Texas Vintage Rangers" on ebay. Set of 3 for a song on face value. Seem to push the right buttons, AlNico 5 poles, fibre bases, cloth insulation. Too good to be true? What y'all think?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Warman-T...19.m1438.l2649

I'm probably going to spring for another set of Benson pickups (so good) but I'm always on the lookout for that bargain find 😉

I've been looking at Warman's as well for my JMA. I don't recall which member has used them but i have seen them here in someone's build.

You'd probably need to get feedback on those specific pickups, which might be difficult.

A very experienced friend of mine fitted some Warmans to one of his S-series Ibanez guitars. A humbucker sized P-90 in the neck and a quad rails in the bridge (and he is the chap who got Kent Armstrong to make him a quad rails pickup before they existed and Kent took up his idea). He has the KA quad rails in all his other guitars as the bridge pickup (some the hot version, some the cool) He says of the quad rails "... quad is darker than my others, somehow also rawer and rough around the edges". The P90 is "OK" but there are better ones out there.

But that doesn't tell you how the Strat set will sound. Plus tone and feel are different things to different people.

Nitroburner1000 used some Warmans in his SG build. You can see them on this page http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...t=6124&page=10

In the meantime I ordered a set, so I'll check back with a review in a few weeks. I'll be shuffling pickups around between a cheaper guitar and a partscaster I'm putting together. I'll have a use for them whether they are tame or treasure, I have enough faith that they won't be trash going by the reviews of their other pickups 😉

I just got my mate to test his pickups at gig volume through an amp (rather than a laptop with amp software). He's actually improved his view of them and won't be rushing to swap them out. He's calling them slightly muddy sounding ATM, but he's checking to see what the pots and cap values are in his guitar as he's left these stock Ibanez ones (he normally replaces them all with switched pots for tapping and series/parallel options etc.).

Here's Max playing about on the Warman equipped Ibanez for me. Hopefully you can view it. Just on his iPhone mic. N.B. He doesn't do subtle.

https://www.facebook.com/Max.H0dges/...5210467524982/

7. Liked by: Grubsta

Thanks Simon. Great demo by Max, and good to hear his opinions. I dont think I'm going to disapointed for the price of this set 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Here's Max playing about on the Warman equipped Ibanez for me. Hopefully you can view it. Just on his iPhone mic. N.B. He doesn't do subtle.

https://www.facebook.com/Max.H0dges/...5210467524982/
    Certainly providing the correct tone for the playing style, looks like they could be good VFM

ps. how did the neighbours feel about the aural assault

I don't think he played it loud for too long. Anyway, he said he didn't hear anyone banging on the door whilst he was playing.

11. Liked by: dave.king1

The Warman "Texas Vintage Rangers" arrived a few days ago (pretty quick, buying from Europe to Perth is usually faster than East Coast to Perth!).

Fitted them on the partscaster I have been building up this morning. Impressions so far, on a barely setup guitar with dead/used test strings:
    - Great build quality, fibre base, neat poles and fabric insulation on wiring.
    - Sound is brilliant for the A$53 landed price of the set. Great replacement for basic strat pickups.
    - Neck and middle pickup very good, a bit brighter than I usually like, but it is also a new guitar for me. Easy fixed by rolling off some treble. Bridge pickup I'm not so sure about, will reserve judgement. (comparison is to Benson 63s in my Pacifica and my Eric Johnson Strat with Lollar neck pickup)
    - Likely with be swapped over to my Pacifica and the Bensons to the partscaster.

So in conclusion, a great value upgrade to basic pickups or for freeing up some more worthy pickups :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180204_113745.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	24607

13. Liked by: Grubsta