Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonics 5th build - The Ultracaster (with special sneak peak)

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar

Sonics 5th build - The Ultracaster (with special sneak peak)

How many simultaneous guitar projects are too many? Stay tuned as I attempt to find out.....

So really this is a dual purpose thread. Since building the Relliecaster I've been hankering after a TL to call my own. So this (eventual) build will help me satisfy that itch. I plan on modding the body a bit. There was a relic'd tele in one of the Guitar of the month threads a while back that had a cut away at the bottom of the body - I can't remember whose its was, but it really struck a chord with me. So for this I will be doing something similar.

The idea is embryonic at the moment, but I may also fiddle the bottom horn a bit. So it's sort of like a TL answer to a super strat. I've got the Wilkinson bridge and cover to go on it and the grover tuners, but thats about it at the moment. There are a couple in line before it so not an issue.

This brings me to the second part of the thread that we can chat about. As some of you may recall I've been working with Adam on a new Headstock and some other designs for PBG. The idea being for PBG to have it's own identity with the prebuilt stuff and some unique things to offer for the kits.

I'd like to clarify before I go any further that I offered my services in a collaborative spirit for this project. I am not charging Adam and we have operated under a friendly barter arrangement thus far. I see this as a community effort for the benefit of this community and as a way I can support PBG with the skills I have available. I of course speak to Adam a fair bit, but I do not speak for him or represent PBG in anyway, other than being a keen supporter.

So, after a lot of back and forth and "Chinese whispers" with the factory, we have received our first batch of sample headstocks. It actually turned out to be trickier than I expected as the factory does not actually use any computer controlled cutting equipment. The first batch of files caused a fair bit of headscratching on their end as I had set it up to basically enter into the machine and hit 'cut'. It turns out that they want to work from traditional technical drawings. So I went back to the files (and back in time about 20 years) and drew up proper schematics.

This appears to have worked out really well. The first thing I did when it arrived was print out my design at 100% physical size and lay the headstock on it. The match up is very impressive. The tuner holes are nice and straight and everything appears spot on. The string pull is perfect (it does look a little off in the photo as I'm trying to hold the wire in place and take the photo at the same time - but I can assure you its dead straight). So I'm very happy with that.

Seeing them in the real they are a lot narrower than you might envision looking at the design. The design brief was to make something to suit a tele that was exactly not a tele headstock and I think if you look at it from that point of view its pretty successful. I wasn't 100% at first, but its really growing on me.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear comments and constructive criticism. This is something that needs a pretty broad appeal so I'm interested in your thoughts. Fire away.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Is it just the camera angle or is it dipping in a little back from the nut on the treble side? Other than that, I like the shape overall.
    Scott.

Theres never too many simultaneous guitar projects I really like your concept it should come up nicely.
    The headstock looks really good. Are different headstocks going to be a tele only option or is there a view to have more on offer for other models also?

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    Is it just the camera angle or is it dipping in a little back from the nut on the treble side? Other than that, I like the shape overall.
    I was wondering how quickly that would be picked up . Yes, there is a manufacturing error there that we've noted. It'll fix up easily enough but hopefully that will be addressed on the next run.

Do I win a prize?
    Scott.

Both looking good. Would struggle with the single coil no pickguard looking at the current route. Would you plug that and recut?
    Last edited by Rossc0; 16-01-2018 at 02:49 PM.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #2 Non PB Vintage Strat Rebuild
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #4 ES-12G (now converted to ES-1)
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT
    #7 Non PB 52 Tele replica
    #8 Coming Soon: 1970's Japanese Les Paul Special Resto.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    Do I win a prize?

Quote Originally Posted by Grubsta View Post
    Theres never too many simultaneous guitar projects I really like your concept it should come up nicely.
    The headstock looks really good. Are different headstocks going to be a tele only option or is there a view to have more on offer for other models also?
    This headstock shape will be available for all the 6 in a line headstocks, the first samples are TL and ST style. You will still be able to get blanks as well for the kits. This style will become the PBG 'brand' look for the pre finished guitars.

We are finding our way a bit at the moment. Overcoming the hurdle of what I need to do between drawing the idea and supplying something the factory understands is the first step. It seems we have achieved that, so it opens up a huge range of possibilities.

There is some other stuff in the pipeline that is on hold for the moment, you guys will be the first to know when we have stuff to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossc0 View Post
    Both looking good. Would struggle with the single coil no pickguard looking at the current route. Would you plug that and recut?
    Yeah that's the idea at the moment. With a solid colour finish and a nice pickup surround I should get away with it. I'm also considering getting a custom pick guard cut for it, so will see as I get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    This headstock shape will be available for all the 6 in a line headstocks, the first samples are TL and ST style. You will still be able to get blanks as well for the kits. This style will become the PBG 'brand' look for the pre finished guitars.

We are finding our way a bit at the moment. Overcoming the hurdle of what I need to do between drawing the idea and supplying something the factory understands is the first step. It seems we have achieved that, so it opens up a huge range of possibilities.

There is some other stuff in the pipeline that is on hold for the moment, you guys will be the first to know when we have stuff to share.
    Cool look forward to seeing some more in the future then.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast