Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonics 5th build - The Ultracaster (with special sneak peak)

Similar body shape to a Carvin Allan Holdsworth Fatboy.

Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

I like that body shape a lot Sonic. And surely there's no such thing as too many guitar projects, right? (...right??)

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Similar body shape to a Carvin Allan Holdsworth Fatboy.

It does a bit. I tell you, it doesn't matter how original you try to be with a shape, someone somewhere has had the same idea. And once you start getting really wild with it, they lose a lot of practicality. Sticking with some semblance of ergonomics always seems to yield the tradition shapes in some way or another.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I like that body shape a lot Sonic. And surely there's no such thing as too many guitar projects, right? (...right??)
    It’s the N+1 rule for sure,
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I have other guitar stuff going on behind the scenes as well. I made some good progress on the SG assembly last night, once it and the Washburn are playing I'll feel a bit better. Actually I'm going to be hard pressed to choose which one to play....

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I have other guitar stuff going on behind the scenes as well. I made some good progress on the SG assembly last night, once it and the Washburn are playing I'll feel a bit better. Actually I'm going to be hard pressed to choose which one to play....
    It’s a familiar story, “I’ll start this while that’s drying/curing” and “while that settles i’ll just start marking out this PUP rout” and before you know it there’s 4 bodies hanging with wet paint or clear, more necks than you have bodies for requiring fret levelling (or in my case stripped and awaiting new boards), router bits and shavings everywhere and everything unprotected is covered in sanding dust.
    ...and the ideas keep popping in to your head and resonating....building in intensity...seeing someone else’s work on a guitar style you’d never considered before tip you over the edge and.........Adam has some more of your money and you are checking the Auspost app on the hour.
    FrankenLab

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    It’s a familiar story, “I’ll start this while that’s drying/curing” and “while that settles i’ll just start marking out this PUP rout” and before you know it there’s 4 bodies hanging with wet paint or clear, more necks than you have bodies for requiring fret levelling (or in my case stripped and awaiting new boards), router bits and shavings everywhere and everything unprotected is covered in sanding dust.
    ...and the ideas keep popping in to your head and resonating....building in intensity...seeing someone else’s work on a guitar style you’d never considered before tip you over the edge and.........Adam has some more of your money and you are checking the Auspost app on the hour.
    Accurate. I'm definitely going to go back to one at a time. Apart from anything else, I don't seem to have any time to play them as there is always something to do on the builds.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Definitely accurate. I had set myself a bit of a New Years resolution to finish the two I've got on the go, and the two I've ordered and then maybe one more after that. Instead it's mid Jan and I'm making bloody templates for two more semi- scratch builds, have decided to buy two more kits, and am drawing up plans for two more scratch builds after that (with about a dozen other ideas kicking around). I have no idea what I'll do with them all; I don't even really play that much!

Definitely accurate. I had set myself a bit of a New Years resolution to finish the two I've got on the go, and the two I've ordered and then maybe one more after that. Instead it's mid Jan and I'm making bloody templates for two more semi- scratch builds, have decided to buy two more kits, and am drawing up plans for two more scratch builds after that (with about a dozen other ideas kicking around). I have no idea what I'll do with them all; I don't even really play that much!
    Sounds like you have your own Igor giving you bad (good) ideas.....
    FrankenLab

Okey done. I've been a little quiet with building of late. I've actually been doing more playing and spending some quality time getting all my setups just right. I have to say I have been playing the S**T out of my Hondo acquisition. Its awesome.

So back to the Ultracaster. I've been thinking about this one a lot. I really want to do a SuperTele 80's style build, but I think with the new PBG headstock and the Wilkinson bridge with the cover it would be too much of a clash. So the plan now is to do something a bit more classic.

I am struggling to come up with the finish I want to attempt. I'm leaning towards white, cream or mustard/butterscotch yellow.

What I have decided is that I'm going to use one of my spare hum buckers in the bridge position. I have a black metal pickup ring to suit. I'll need to fill the corners of the cavity as there isn't enough meat for the screws to bite into, but that is a minor issue.

I also have a black neck back plate and I'll use the left over black grover tuner bits from the SG to mix and match those up. So there will be a black/chrome theme. Maple neck and ? body. (burst? Gold???)

Anyway, ideas and interference welcome. I do want to show off how nicely this headstock has come up. Not to blow my own horn or anything but its really quite elegant and will suit a classic tele style build.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast