Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 504 Pots

This is where I personally would do some testing. My gut says that without the cap this bass will be very bright. Jazz, bridge pup much stronger than neck, 500K or higher pots. So with no cap this bass should be pretty bright.

The cap won't block all the highs, especially in a passive bass. So it's really about having a meaningful rolloff of some of the highs. If the cutoff is very high you won't hear it at all rolled off, or not much. Too low and it goes from bright to mud too fast.

The only way to know what you will like is to experiment. Wire up the bass and alligator clip some different caps in place to see what you think of the rolloff. Caps are cheap and the green and red gumdrops work just as well as the orange drops. For $10 you can get a small handful to try ;-)

I got similar advice on my ESB-4 project from Wierd Bits and the results surprised me, so I was glad I tested.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thank you Simon and Fender3X, I always have the tone fully open on 10. I have purchased alligator clips months ago and have different pots and caps through a bit of cardboard to test different set ups.

Then the cap value won't really matter. If you want an even brighter tone, then either don't connect the tone pot up (but still fit it to save having an empty control hole), or buy a 'no-load' tone pot which has a break in the track in the fully open position. This takes the tone pot out of circuit when set on 10, then brings it in when it's turned down a bit.

https://www.realparts.com.au/catalog...vance&dir=desc

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Then the cap value won't really matter. If you want an even brighter tone, then either don't connect the tone pot up (but still fit it to save having an empty control hole), or buy a 'no-load' tone pot which has a break in the track in the fully open position. This takes the tone pot out of circuit when set on 10, then brings it in when it's turned down a bit.

Thank you Simon, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post

Oh, that's cool.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2