Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: First build, blue widow LP quilted

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be too concerned as long as it is flattening when dry, finishing should settle it down. Hopefully someone more familiar with the veneers will have some advice.

Colour is looking great. It will be spectacular with clear over it.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    Yes I had noted that the veneer centre line is about 0.5 - 1 cm off being perfectly centered , but I do have to remind myself that this is a $ 270 kit and not a $ 5000 guitar. It is a good learning experience.

Today I have sanded back the black stain and have put on 2 coats of the blue dye.
    See pictures below
    Attachment 24337
    Attachment 24338
    Denial, looking really good. Question for you. What was your process for sanding back the black on the body veneer. About to do the same and it worries me?
    #1 LP1-SS
    #2 Non PB Vintage Strat Rebuild
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #4 ES-12G (now converted to ES-1)
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT
    #7 Non PB 52 Tele replica
    #8 Coming Soon: 1970's Japanese Les Paul Special Resto.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

If possible I would try to get some glue under the veneer. The smallest amount would help, but you run the risk of it stuffing up your lovely finish. Maybe through a medical syringe or such?
    Builds to date
    #1, 3 string box guitar
    #2, GR-1SF, November guitar of the month 2016
    #3, Charvel Surfcaster tribute scratch build. ( Completed )
    #4, Pawn shop Strat ( Completed )
    #5, Current build MM-1Q

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I'd be a little worried about it seeping into the quilt and making a milky spot, but thats pure speculation on my part. If I was using a poly clear or even lacquer I'l just give it a soak with that, let it dry fully and settle, then go on with your finishing coats.

Even if the clear ends up slightly raised there you can carefully block it back with fine grade sandpaper and buff it back to being flat.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Rossc0

After reading lots of other builds where there was thin veneer involved I decided that I would do almost no preparation on the top surface as I thought I would only get one overall sand on the top of the body.

So I tried to check for glue spots with methylated spirits , it worked on the mahogany sides and the glue spots stood out.
    However on the top veneer it did not show up any spots due to the very white colour of the maple.

As I had seen in lots of the veneer builds with glue spots I decided to pre-emptively use some " goof off" around the edges and along the centre glue line. Unfortunately when I put the black stain on it revealed more glue spots in patches so I rubbed the goof off in with 0000 steel wool and then rubbed it down with a rag soaked wth the goof off. This seemed to work in most of the cases.

I then rubbed down the body with 400 grit sandpaper

By the way I use a cloth backed sandpaper that is nice to use on uneven surfaces
    See picture belowClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	325.6 KB 
ID:	24352

And I have been holding the body in a cradle that I made out of some scrap chip board an some pieces of foam, that I could then cover with a towel to protect the top or bottom of the body. See below
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	126 
Size:	446.4 KB 
ID:	24353

Views:	116 
Size:	316.4 KB 
ID:	24354

I will probably do a very light sand with 400 to knock the top off the raised grain , before I start to put my oil coats on.
    As I am likely to rub some of my oil coats with 0000 steel wool to sort of sand and work the oil into the grain it probably does not need to be really smooth. I am hoping the oil will fill any minor grain issues.

Colour looks great, and I love the cradle you built
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Just a tip: I used a kitchen sponge/scourer to apply the TruOil. Steel oil can leave metal fibers in the oil which are a pain to get out. I then apply the oil with high grade sandpaper as the coats built up.
    There are plenty of threads regarding TruOil finishes.
    Wazkelly has some great ideas and finishes. Suggest you talk to him first. You have a great colour going there, take some time a get it finished right. Cheers and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    Rossc0

After reading lots of other builds where there was thin veneer involved I decided that I would do almost no preparation on the top surface as I thought I would only get one overall sand on the top of the body.

So I tried to check for glue spots with methylated spirits , it worked on the mahogany sides and the glue spots stood out.
    However on the top veneer it did not show up any spots due to the very white colour of the maple.

As I had seen in lots of the veneer builds with glue spots I decided to pre-emptively use some " goof off" around the edges and along the centre glue line. Unfortunately when I put the black stain on it revealed more glue spots in patches so I rubbed the goof off in with 0000 steel wool and then rubbed it down with a rag soaked wth the goof off. This seemed to work in most of the cases.

I then rubbed down the body with 400 grit sandpaper
    Cheers for that, My LP veneer was spalted so left as is, this one is the first one I'll be trying to bring the grain out on so we'll see how it goes.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #2 Non PB Vintage Strat Rebuild
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #4 ES-12G (now converted to ES-1)
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT
    #7 Non PB 52 Tele replica
    #8 Coming Soon: 1970's Japanese Les Paul Special Resto.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quote Originally Posted by ILRGuitars View Post
    Just a tip: I used a kitchen sponge/scourer to apply the TruOil. Steel oil can leave metal fibers in the oil which are a pain to get out. I then apply the oil with high grade sandpaper as the coats built up.
    There are plenty of threads regarding TruOil finishes.
    Wazkelly has some great ideas and finishes. Suggest you talk to him first. You have a great colour going there, take some time a get it finished right. Cheers and good luck.
    ILR thanks for the tip
    I have tried applying my last coat with scourer pad. See below

I have now applied 4 coats of Tung oil

I am waiting to see if the small blister will flatten out in the veneer , it almost has.
    I have now scraped back the binding

Views:	119 
Size:	354.9 KB 
ID:	24405

Views:	128 
Size:	585.0 KB 
ID:	24406