Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: dBb’s JRM-1

I've just fitted an IronGear P90 into a USA Hamer (in the neck neck position) to replace a Seymour Duncan made P90 that was a bit too powerful and 'thick' sounding and I'm really pleased with it. Not expensive at all. http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_010.htm

But I'd guess that the Tonerider P90s will be of similar quality and sound. http://www.tonerider.com/p90

Of course you can pay a lot more if you want to get that 10% of extra tone (and I will do for my ES330 build), but there are a lot out there and I'm just as confused as you about what to get when I look around.

I'm looking at P90s for my Double Cut Junior

I'm really keen on either Lollar or Fralin P90s - maybe an overwound one - I want a rock machine. But these are some of the more expensive ones. Another option is BareKnuckles.

Some makers don't seem to have dogear P90s, which is obviously what you want for a Jr.

At the end of the day the key aspects are probably price point and sound. Worth checking the numerous YouTube reviews etc

To start with I will use the stick PUP, and then work out exactly what I want. I wil probably then redo all of the electronics - new pots / caps etc
    Build 1: Non-PBG Flamed Maple LP - Wine Red
    Build 2: JRM-1DC - The Butterscotch Belle

Pedalboard Build

A friend whom I trust explicitly in these matters said (a few years ago now) that the Lollars were the best P90 that he'd ever heard (and apart from being in various Cambridge UK bands with Dave Gilmour and Syd Barrett, he also spent 15 years in Nashville). But things change all the time and there seem to be more pickup makers out there than ever. But the Lollars are certainly very good.

You can simply get a dog-ear cover and replacement backplate to turn a 'normal' P-90 into a dog-ear, but it is nicer to buy a complete unit. Because the ES-1 kit has a curved top, it's a bit harder to source suitable dog-ears, Flat bottoms are easy, Actually the neck location on the ES-1 is almost flat, the bridge has a definite curve. Shims are an option (and are the only workable method of getting the pickup nearer the strings for a dog-ear), but on my ES-1, the neck position won't have enough height to fit one.

Also note that a quick search for 'dog-ear P90 dimensions' turned up a whole mixture of dog-ear cover sizes, whilst the 'standard' P-90 does seem to be a standard size.

Quick update....

I finished the build. Pictures and a little build diary to come.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3