Thread: Rooks RCA-4!!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SHIM MAKING

After a bit of searching I found a hardware store nearby that sold maple veneer for about 7 bucks for an 8ft roll.
    Maple Veneer:

First I traced the neck heel onto a piece of paper to create a stencil. I transferred the outline to the veneer and started cutting. The veneer is really easy to work with. Cut very well with scissors and was kinda fun so I ended up making a bunch while watching a movie. After cutting I needed to sand the sides a bit for a perfect fit, but all in all it was simple and fun.

Making template:

I assume I will need to glue two or three of these things together to get the thickness I need, so I cut them in alternate directions of the grain. Which I think is the right thing to do...

Still need to shape the top of the shim that protrudes from the pocket, but they are basically done.

semi-completed Shims:

@pablopepper gave some advice on how to come up with a tapered shim without many tools. And I might go that route.

HIS ADVICE:
    Quote Originally Posted by pablopepper View Post
    I would suggest getting some wood veneer and playing with layers. Wood veneer is usually 0.6mm thick, so start with a piece about a half to two thirds of the length of the pocket, place it at the back of the pocket, clamp your neck in again and check action. If that's not enough, cut another piece half the length of the piece before, stack, clamp and check again. Repeat until mostly happy.

When you are done, glue the stack of veneers together, flip it and give it a rough sand to smooth the layers out a bit. This should give you a workable shim with little to no power tools used.

But I am wondering if there is any disadvantage to simply using a flat shim.
    I googled around and can't seem to find any reason a flat shim is a bad idea, but if anyone here has an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by rook; 26-01-2018 at 06:46 AM.