Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
I often think of something along similar lines that Salvador Dali suggested in his 50 secrets of magic craftmanship, which is basically that you should spend the last part of each day in the studio preparing for tomorrow - washing brushes, preparing canvas, cleaning up, whatever it happens to be. Then the next day when you're fresh, everything is ready and you can just work. Clearly he was talking about painting, but the same is true of anything. I find it especially helpful to think about now I have kids - I can't count the times that that extra bit of effort getting prepped while I was tired and cranky has later paid off when I actually had some few spare hours, and managed to get a whole hell of a lot done!
This. My father taught me long, long ago that until you've tidied your gear away and sorted out your workspace, the days work is most definately not done! The fact that my family often rummage for a tool or some other "thing" in the workshop is neither here nor there; they know these days to leave it as they find it, else much yelling and foot stomping will occur....