Thread: Where to set neck and saddles on RCM-1

Where to set neck and saddles on RCM-1

...and onto build #2 which is the RCM-1 https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...ic-guitar-kit/ complete with set neck and double humbucker pups, and importantly for this question, a Tune-O-Matic bridge.

I've finished the finish (no staining, just sanded and filled the grain with mahogany Timbermate and then a matt varnish) and while it cures for a week, I turn to the issue of setting the neck and ultimately being able to intonate the instrument properly.

Putting aside for a second the slightly extra length needed as the strings get thicker, I get that the measurement from the nut to the 12th fret must equal the measurement from the 12th fret to the bridge saddle but the question is:
    Where do I set the saddle, and on which string?

For example, do I set the neck so the measurements are the same on the 6th string with the saddle set at full forward?

Thanks in advance.

Warren

Normally the bridge saddle would be set for it’s centre of travel.
    Now as a general rule the bass string is approx 2mm longer than scale length and the highest string about 1mm shorter - this is why the bridge is usually tilted.
    So for a nominal scale length of 640mm, the bass E will be approx 642 and the high E 639mm in length.
    This would suggest the B or G string saddle set at its centre of travel would be the way to go...
    There are numerous online calculators to refine this further in regards to string gauge etc...
    That said - isn’t the bridge location pre drilled on this kit?

Yes, Stan the bridge posts are pre-drilled so it's not the bridge I'm worried about - it's where to set the saddles so that I can measure the neck position before glueing it in position. For obvious reasons, I don't want to just ram it home and glue it there in case it either fouls the neck pickup and/or makes the fret-bridge measurement too short.

Instead of tapping in the post bushes, wrap the studs in tape and push them in as a temporary holder
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G