Thread: Help with Floyd Rose mounting posts

Help with Floyd Rose mounting posts

Hi, am building an SV-1 kit. But I have a question before I go forward please. I have watched the video of mounting the FR and it was said to tap in the mounting posts until level with the top plane of the body.

I have gone as far as I can go using a dead hammer, the top of the posts are at the top of the routed out area where they fit but the screws are about 5mm proud of the top of the body and are tightly fitting in the posts.

This means the FR is sitting almost on the routed out area. Yes I realise the screws can adjust the actual height but this was not explained in the video.

Am trying to attach a few pics so you can see. Hmmm blooming iPad junk. Sorry can't squash the pics on this which is my only connection. I live in a remote area and only have access by this thing until the Neighbourhood House opens in a few weeks.

So please have I done the right thing with the posts or ?

Thanks for your advice.
    Doug.

Here is a pic (finally new software etc) hope it works so you can see.
    Doug
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0597.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	23888

That's the screw heads sitting about 5mm proud of the top surface and the posts are at the level or the routed out section. Yes that's the OH&S manager checking out things, haha.
    Is this correct or do I need to pull the posts out?

That's fine. The screw inserts will probably need to be screwed out by a few mm to get the bridge at the right height once it's all set up.

It's good to ask questions though. Keep doing it!

Thanks Simon. Greatly appreciated.
    I understand it is the screws that the bridge sits on which gives the height adjustment for the bridge assembly.
    Ok, third coat of Feast Watson fine rubbing oil.
    Yes I love the look of wood, so the final finish will be a cabinet makers wax. The neck has come up very well, shiney and silky smoooth and very slippery, so should be good for playing from that respect.
    Another 2 days of buffing while watching repeats of MASH or chatting to the OH&S manager, then the waxing. I guess another few days for a few coats and buffing.
    Doug.

Looks all good to me, it's quite normal for those bridge posts to be like as shown in the photos you've posted.

Now to put the neck in the correct position. Looking at my other guitars, its easy to see where the string meets the bridge. On these the high E string is exactly equidistant from the crown of 12th to the nut and the bridge.

But where on a Floyd Rose (type) bridge, where is the point to measure to so as to ensure the neck is in the correct position?
    If it is the front of the channel where the string will lay, then the neck has to be up against the pick-up to be equidistant.
    For my measurements, I have the high E string bridge mount at its further-est forward position toward the nut. Nut to crown of 12th is 12.75 inches or about 324mm.
    Last edited by Buchanfarmer; 25-03-2018 at 06:46 AM.

I will re-ask this in my build diary.