Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: A first kit for Christmas: JMA-1L

Quote Originally Posted by Volgar View Post
    I’m using Northwestguitars nitro paint,
    What can be the issues ?
    And what are the errors ?
    ok Nitro your not priming it up properly you need to put enough primer on it so you have a margin of not sanding through, the body is ASH? so grain fill is paramount before you shoot the colour coats Ash being so grainy it will suck up quite a bit of primer its a common mistake to get a nice shiny flat finish is all in the prep if your only learning don't be scared to grab the sander and start again, as the paint drys it will fall back in to the grain and then you need to have enough paint to be able to sand that out. when you spraying a full colour you sand differently you don't sand with the grain as all that will do is the surface isn't flat you need to do a circular motion with 120, 220, 320 the anything over 400grit. the good thing is your in the right place to get advice there is some decent builders on theses forums and most will help. I understand your English isn't your main language so translating maybe a problem but good luck with it you'll get there

Quote Originally Posted by phrozin View Post
    ok Nitro your not priming it up properly you need to put enough primer on it so you have a margin of not sanding through, the body is ASH? so grain fill is paramount before you shoot the colour coats Ash being so grainy it will suck up quite a bit of primer its a common mistake to get a nice shiny flat finish is all in the prep if your only learning don't be scared to grab the sander and start again, as the paint drys it will fall back in to the grain and then you need to have enough paint to be able to sand that out. when you spraying a full colour you sand differently you don't sand with the grain as all that will do is the surface isn't flat you need to do a circular motion with 120, 220, 320 the anything over 400grit. the good thing is your in the right place to get advice there is some decent builders on theses forums and most will help. I understand your English isn't your main language so translating maybe a problem but good luck with it you'll get there
    I use wood filler, and only lightly sanded the primer who I put 4 layers, it's not enough ?
    It was really big layers (horizontal, vertical, leaning at each layer) so It's a bit like 12 layers ! haha
    You think I did it wrong here ?
    I'm not really searching a really shinny flat finish, but after a light relic finish, so maybe it's not really a problem ?
    What do you think about it ?
    "Isn't funk the most beautiful creation of man?"
    - Volgar, 2018
    __________________________________________________ __________
    #1st build - JMA-1L
    #2nd build will certainly be a custom kit close to the GR-1SFG

hey its your build and its what ever your comfortable with mate but you wont see the gremlins until your final coats have dried personally i don't use wood filler for grain filler but others do and that's another story 😀

Quote Originally Posted by phrozin View Post
    hey its your build and its what ever your comfortable with mate but you wont see the gremlins until your final coats have dried personally i don't use wood filler for grain filler but others do and that's another story 😀
    I’m not blaming you, don’t worry: I really like advice
    It was just a question

Fiou !
    I find some white Woodglue and all seems good now !

Well done! A good save. Just let it dry for a day before trying to fit the new nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Well done! A good save. Just let it dry for a day before trying to fit the new nut.
    Yep, I will do it

Quote Originally Posted by Volgar View Post
    Fiou !
    I find some white Woodglue and all seems good now !

Good save Maxence!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

9. Liked by: Volgar

Hello ! If I send you this message, it is because I am completely lost with the neck! : / I have, for now, removed the nut and quickly look at the curvature of the neck that looks good, I let your expert eye decide!

I know that I must now put the frets at the same height: I have already masked with tape.
    but then ?
    what should I do to finish the neck?
    sand it?
    Which product to use to "preserve" it? Should it be varnished?
    I am completely lost on what I have to do with this neck!

Hi Maxence,
    If you have masked off the fretboard you can go ahead with sanding,unfortunatley its a bit hard for me to give advice on what product you could finish with because i'm not sure what you have available to you there in France. However I'm certain there would be someone here that could give you some better ideas on what to use.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast