Thread: P90’s in the JZ-1 kit

P90’s in the JZ-1 kit

As the JZ-1 doesn’t have a diagram on the instructions part of the site, I am using the “2 humbuckers, 2 pots, and a three way switch” diagram to wire mine up.

This seems fine so far, but I was wondering if the P90’s are identical, or is one a “neck” and one a “bridge”?

Also, is one of them reverse wound for hum-cancelling when on the middle position?

It's a relatively new kit so no specific diagram for it, but the 2 hums, 2 pots & 3-way diagram will work fine (the TLD-1TP diagram is the equivalent with P90's).

I've never had a twin P90 PBG kit, so I can't tell you if the neck is RWRP or not. Some P90 sets are, others aren't, so the only way to be sure is to test. The simplest way is if you have a headphone amp or equivalent just grab the pickups and connect one to a lead with clip leads, plug it in and listen for hum, then add in the other pup and see if the hum disappears. I do it often when matching dissimilar pickups/coils.

The standard way to tell bridge from neck pickup with PBG kits is the bridge pup generally has a slightly higher resistance and the neck pickup generally has the longer wire. If they seem the same then they probably are.
    Last edited by WeirdBits; 28-12-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    Scott.

Yeah, this is the conclusion I came to. Thanks.