Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: JMA-1 First timer..

After plenty of indecision on a finish i decided to go with DT Bushfire Sunrise which is on its way.
    I've had a bit of time up my sleeve and managed to get the neck and bridge aligned and also got my hands on some ebony timbermate and went over the body.
    A fair bit of sanding later and I'm pretty happy with the progress. I still have a few little spots that need another going over with filler and still a bit more sanding to be done.

Next up levelling and crowning the frets.

Noice, some cool grain highlights going on there.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

3. Liked by: Grubsta

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Noice, some cool grain highlights going on there.
    Cheers mate ive never used timbermate before but im glad I did

Really nice !

6. Liked by: Grubsta

Timbermate has been a good mate for you. it's great seeing the grain pop out like this, it's the start of a stunning look!
    1st build - Blue ES-12G ->-Build Diary-<-

2nd build - Father/Son collaboration MB-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

3rd build - GR-SF1 ->-Build Diary-<-

4th build - FS-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

8. Liked by: Grubsta

Nice stuff grubsta, my gr1sf came up a treat with the same process and dt colour, good luck

10. Liked by: Grubsta

Yeah im pretty happy i chose to go this way looking forward to getting some color on it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Barnes View Post
    Nice stuff grubsta, my gr1sf came up a treat with the same process and dt colour, good luck
    Would that be the January GOTM Winner?

Just reading up. I have a couple humbuckers you can have, and I'm in Melbourne too. Let me know if they're of use to you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Build 1: FS-1 Complete http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7754

Build 2: RCA-4 Complete http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=8091

Gear: Fender Strat MIM 2017 (Gilmour baby!), Maton MS500, Fender Telecaster CIJ 1983 (70's Strat neck and heavily modded), Pitbull "Flinty Yeah-Nahcaster" FS-1, Pitbull "Chickenf*cker" RCA-4, Seagull S6 Cedar-top, Blackstar HT-60 Stage MkI, Line-6 Helix FX, Hartke HD50

Just a little update on my progress...
    The weather here has been pretty crap and not great to get out in the shed and be productive and i'm sure the missus wouldn't appreciate me sanding and filling my guitar body at the dining table in air conditioned comfort so progress has been a little slower than i hoped but i still managed to make some progress. (holidays are over back to the real world tomorrow)
    I wasn't entirely happy with the first lot of grain filling so i went over about 50% of the body a second time, i found that had gone a little too hard in a few spots with the sanding probably with to coarse grit paper and re exposed a few small cracks and lines in the grain.

I started out at 120 to bring down the filler a little and then progressed onto 240 and finished up at 400. i discovered 2 small spots that need just a touch more filler and a bit more sanding but other that that i'm pretty confident that i should be able to start staining this week once it arrives.

The tools i ordered arrived last week so i was able to put some time into the neck as well.
    so i leveled crowned and polished the frets with 0000 steel wool i also discovered that red marker isn't the best option for marking the tops of your frets stick to black.
    Using a crowning file for the fist time was an interesting experience but i just took my time it took a while to get though all the frets but i got there and i think i did ok.

And the last thing i managed to get done was to plug up and re-drill the 2 tuner holes that were out of whack another interesting experience here because i was terrified of screwing it up and having to get a new neck but it all worked out ok in the end.
    Sorry i forgot to take a photo after re-drilling.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast