Thread: Clamps for setting necks

Clamps for setting necks

Awaiting my first set-neck kit

I have seen a few people with blue trigger style clamps on their necks

Are these better or easier to use than the old school g-clamps?

What brand are they and where can I pick them up? Also, what size is best for guitar neck setting?

It is a personal preference as to which you choose, and after using both sorts of clamps I simply prefer and feel more confident with the traditional G clamp. Maybe it's an 'old school' thing, but there is also the fact that the clamps I use are very old and I got from my Dad so there is a special thing going on whenever I use any tool that I've inherited from him...

The trigger grip clamps available quite cheaply from most larger hardware chain stores will do the job. Depending on how tight your neck fit is can make you think you need the extra G's from a real G clamp, but all you need is to hold the neck in place as the glue sets so a minimal holding ability is all that is really needed. Too tight a clamp risks awkwardly bending the frets or damaging the body wood on the back side of your build and both 'errors' can be very hard to overcome.

When I clamp I try to avoid clamping on the fret board... If I can I place the clamp pressure only on the neck 'tongue' that extends under the neck PU.... so obviously on most builds the clamp has to have a reasonable reach of probably about 10cm. Also when clamping I like to use an assortment of pine wood blocks to extend up the point where I want to clamp in the PU chamber, and a use slice of ply with some hard foam attached to protect the body from the metal of the clamp at the rear so depending on the extension/protection used the gap between the clamp jaws may need to be up to 15cm.

Hope that helps...