Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: P-Bass (PBA-4)

Nitrocellulose sanding sealer and Acrylic primer and paint??

Apparently sanding sealer is not as common as I believe it would be, where I'm living, but I managed to get a can, it's Nitrocellulose sanding sealer.
    My question is how will it work with my primer and color, both are acrylic?
    Anything I should be aware of?
    I've searched Google quite a lot in the past three days, trying to find a definitive answer, a black or white, yes or no answer, what I found was lot's of similar questions - not one definitive answer.
    I hope some of the experienced members here could help with this.
    Thanks

The best answer is to try it first on a piece of scrap wood. If the sealer and acrylic colour aren't compatible, then you'll soon know. Poly and Nitro are supposed to be compatible, nitro and acrylic less so, but sometimes it comes down to exactly what people have put in each can.

If it doesn't work, then shellac has been recommended as a sealer that is compatible with everything, but it's just that bit messier as you have to warm up the shellac beads with water, then brush or wipe it on (or a mixture of the two).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The best answer is to try it first on a piece of scrap wood. If the sealer and acrylic colour aren't compatible, then you'll soon know. Poly and Nitro are supposed to be compatible, nitro and acrylic less so, but sometimes it comes down to exactly what people have put in each can.

If it doesn't work, then shellac has been recommended as a sealer that is compatible with everything, but it's just that bit messier as you have to warm up the shellac beads with water, then brush or wipe it on (or a mixture of the two).
    Thank you Simon. Much appreciated.
    One more question this time regarding the pick guard - I want to replace the stock white pickguard with a black one - I ordered a 3 ply blank - what is the best way to cut it into shape? (Jigsaw,hacksaw)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmix View Post
    Thank you Simon. Much appreciated.
    One more question this time regarding the pick guard - I want to replace the stock white pickguard with a black one - I ordered a 3 ply blank - what is the best way to cut it into shape? (Jigsaw,hacksaw)?

Thanks
    HI Shimmix,

you can cut the pickguard material with a fine bladed saw, but it is far easier to use a coping saw as it is far more maneuverable. You can cut it roughly to your required shape with a hacksaw and then tidy up the detail work with sandpaper/files.
    the other thing you can do is to make an MDF template, and then use a small trim router to cut to shape. you can get a 45 degree trimming bit with a guide bearing which will also allow you to bevel the edge.

FOrum member Pablo pepper also custom cuts these for people and he may be able to help if you are not sure how to go about doing it yourself.

Cheers and good luck with your build!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    HI Shimmix,

you can cut the pickguard material with a fine bladed saw, but it is far easier to use a coping saw as it is far more maneuverable. You can cut it roughly to your required shape with a hacksaw and then tidy up the detail work with sandpaper/files.
    the other thing you can do is to make an MDF template, and then use a small trim router to cut to shape. you can get a 45 degree trimming bit with a guide bearing which will also allow you to bevel the edge.

FOrum member Pablo pepper also custom cuts these for people and he may be able to help if you are not sure how to go about doing it yourself.

Cheers and good luck with your build!
    Thanks FrankenWashie!
    That's helpful. Since I currently don't have a router (was stolen when my shed was ransacked), I will try the hacksaw and sanding paper/files method.

Since I currently don't have a router (was stolen when my shed was ransacked), I will try the hacksaw and sanding paper/files method.
    Man, that sucks. Did you lose much stuff? For what it's worth, the hacksaw/sanding process isn't very difficult or even particularly tedious, so you're not losing out particularly by not having access to a router.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Thanks FrankenWashie!
    That's helpful. Since I currently don't have a router (was stolen when my shed was ransacked), I will try the hacksaw and sanding paper/files method.
    You're very welcome; Dirty rotten light fingered mongrels, hope they get their karma payback.
    FrankenLab

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    You're very welcome; Dirty rotten light fingered mongrels, hope they get their karma payback.
    Thanks, I hope so too
    I found an amazing store I didn't know existed, that sells Shellac and pigments of all sorts... I was like a kid in a candy store..
    anyway - will continue my work tomorrow on the body - re sanding the primer coat untill smooth and applying the shellac.

After applying the shellac , the color received is kinda old, relic like (because I sanded some of the primer below off and you can see the wood ), Now I'm not sure if I want to paint it with the ultra marine blue or just apply the clear coat on top of the shellac to keep this color.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P80218-223821.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	769.5 KB 
ID:	24894

Tough decision

It kinda reminds me of old farmhouse furniture. I like it, it will be interesting to see as a mock build, check out what the jewellery does to it.
    FrankenLab

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast