Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thigg's ib5 build

Thigg's ib5 build

Hi all. Just got an email confirming my ib5 kit is on its way so i thought what better time to start my build diary. This will be build two after completing a tla-1r this time last year. It was really a warm up with the ib5 being the main goal. So the kit was custom ordered with only change of ebony fret board with no fret markers.

The plan is finish wise is a greyish black stain in a satin, undecided to have matching headstock or not. I have a active preamp and swaping out the nut for a warwick pending size matching.

Kit has arrived! At a quick glance everything appears to be there will have a better look when little hands aren't awake. Looking at the body where to fit the battery box and there isnt a lot of options. I had initially planned to put it between the pickups as ibanez often do but the box i have only leaves 5mm either side and the will not take a screw. Im currently thinking in the upper body above the bridge/ pickup but i Will need to run wiring through the bridge pickup route. Will this cause any interference? Where have other people mounted theirs? Any ideas greatly appreciated

From memory, the IB-5 has a pretty thin body which may make a battery box problematic. You may be better off trying to work the battery into the main control cavity. Also, check that the barrel jack will fit properly as sometimes their cut/hole isn't quite right to get the internal nut mounted and/or can foul with a pot.
    Scott.

Thanks weird bits that would work well i may have to enlarge slightly to fit battery and preamp but thats no problem. The jack is slighty to large in diameter to fit so i will enlarge to fit the check. Cheers for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    From memory, the IB-5 has a pretty thin body which may make a battery box problematic. You may be better off trying to work the battery into the main control cavity. Also, check that the barrel jack will fit properly as sometimes their cut/hole isn't quite right to get the internal nut mounted and/or can foul with a pot.
    +1 for the jack. I had to do some major surgery on an iB1 kit to get the internal attachment right, and also some gentle dremel sanding barrel work on the access from the front to get the rubber mounting washer into the aperture.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Finally got a bit of time have a look and jack fits nicely now not fouling on any pots. After much mind changing an measuring i have decided to route a battery compartment and make a cover similar to picture. I will have spare material after cutting new control cover (the one supplied was bevel edged and i think would look of recessed) so hopefully will work out well

Name:  images-25.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  7.1 KB
    Round two with the picture

Finally a bit of progress. Bit the bullet and crossed fingers and toes. Now i have battery compartmentClick image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1520245863842.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	25276

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1520245875603.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	25277 getting close to sanding time now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1522144023245.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	25641
    Stained up getting ready to. Hard to get a good photo inside to show the colour.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast