Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: SV-1 build

I will try to get a pic tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think it's too deep.

Can someone educate me about this style of guitar please. I do know fenders and gibbons as well as Matons and Yamaha but the SV-1 eludes me. Maybe what you tell me will allow me to repair the ding in a way consistent with its first users. I had a thought as I don't think I can steam it out is to put in a diamond stud in there with some finger nail polish colour. Then maybe a few more elsewhere. My late mother left some very strange costume stuff which could do this job.
    Just a thought please
    Last edited by Buchanfarmer; 24-01-2018 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Spelling & grammer

Inspired by the Ibanez JEM
    Scott.

Hi. Thanks Scott. That has given me much to look at as I did not know the history, just liked the look and pickups.

Am working very hard on my foldback speakers at moment, I think they are AWE design, but I have lost my book in the many moves. Each will have a 12" 888 speaker and a horn loaded tweeter. Been nearly 20 years in the making. I do have other tweeters but would have to make a crossover - lots of design issues. This horn is a ceramic speaker.

Back on the job

ok, back on the job after much ado. The Buchan & Gelantipy Picnic races was a great day and the refurbished toilets were greatly appreciated by all users (of the facilities I mean). Then a couple of bouts with my old foe - anaphylaxis (extreme reaction to something still not identified after 6 years of testing). Hmm not so nice.
    Now have soldered and re-soldered the wiring as there were some dry joints. The switch body had not been abraded and the connections for the earth were dry joints as an example.
    Have re-worked the neck and body to get rid of any other scratches that I could not see in the dim lighting of this place.
    So now to fitting the neck. In my spare seconds I made a tool to check the fret board curve. I am satisfied its about 3 - 4mm. It will flatten a bit when the strings are installed of course.
    Onward, always onward.
    The cat scan goes on a daily basis checking for another black snake, but better yet was the snake doing a wonder past my dog yesterday. We were burnt out in October last year, the dozer's been in and cleared the mess. The owner's been building a new fence line and has disturbed the snakes.. Fun.

Ok, back on the job. Have checked and leveled the frets. They were pretty good actually, but the ends need more attention. The frets are a lot higher than my Aria that Merve did for me so I guess it will be a lot slower to play. Doesn’t matter much really as i’m Getting much slower anyway.

I have a question before drilling and screwing the neck on.
    On my other guitars it’s easy to see where the string meets the bridge so that’s the measuring point.

Where on a Floyd Rose (type) bridge is the point to take the measurements from?

Is it the front (nut direction) end of the channel where the string will lay?
    If I put the neck right up against the front pickup, with the high E string bridge as far forwards as it will go, then it measures 12.75 inch to crown of 12th which is same as nut to crown of 12th.
    However this means the windings of that pickup are actually binding against the end of the neck.
    Should I then put a groove in the end of the neck to give clearance for the pickup to be physically free from the neck?

Trying to get a pic so all is evident, but my connection here is either 1 dot of 4 G or 1 dot of 3G. As I went to take the pic, it dropped out completely. Telstra put in a new tower a few months ago only 6km away, had great service but they have realigned the service path away from me. Why should I complain - there is only 2 other residences here and they have NBN 1 by sat and the other by magic. Oh the joys of living semi-remote.

The pics

Ok some pics, generally worth another beer, sorry thousands of words.
    Second try.
    Third try, it’s getting frustrating but I can’t seem to attach pic
    Ok. Run out of beer, bourbon and wine so I just have to whinge about my connection.
    Fourth try.
    Hope this works. The montage shows the ding I was chatting about a while ago. Also the measuring point, the neck/pickup and crown of 12th fret (ruler slipped a little for that one)

At this stage, the end of the neck is actually pushing against the pickup coil reasonably hard to get the measurement which is why I asked about making a groove in the neck to relieve the pickup from pressure.

Doug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA937938-A35B-42C3-BE50-B74A4BD94901.jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	25581  

Hiya Doug, if you consult the fret position calculator on the stewmac website, it give approximate values for the bridge anchor positions on Floyd Rose trems. You just enter the scale length 25.5” and the calculator will spit out an approximate distance from nut.

Given that (in theory) the Scale length is going to be the nut to the Point where the strings go over the saddle edge then you should approximate a line across the saddles and see if that lines up to your scale length.

if you’re u can hang on for a bit I’ll check my FrankenWashie build as that has a fairly accurate FR set up on it.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Hi FrankeWashie. My nut to 12th crown is 12.75 inch. I have clamped the neck up against the front pickup and put the 2 E strings on just to check. The high E is exactly 12.75 From 12th crown to the front of the channel. According to my meter, pressing at the 12th, the note is one octave above open string. That’s with the high E string saddle forward most.

The rest I would to know their measurements please, so I’ll wait to see before drilling & screwing. Need some beer or bourbon or wine, only got tea, coffee and water.

Quote Originally Posted by Buchanfarmer View Post
    Hi FrankeWashie. My nut to 12th crown is 12.75 inch. I have clamped the neck up against the front pickup and put the 2 E strings on just to check. The high E is exactly 12.75 From 12th crown to the front of the channel. According to my meter, pressing at the 12th, the note is one octave above open string. That’s with the high E string saddle forward most.

The rest I would to know their measurements please, so I’ll wait to see before drilling & screwing. Need some beer or bourbon or wine, only got tea, coffee and water.
    I've done a quick measure up and I've got slightly over 12.75 at the Low E and more or less similar across the board

From memory when I set this up, the store I bought it from(the FR trem) reminded me to check against scale length and shift the saddle mounting to whichever locking holes gave me the better intonation adjustment. Which is what I did. I think. There has been much time and beer since I did this. Hope that helps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FrankenWashie; 25-03-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast