Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: SV-1 build

Hi guys, this sounds interesting but is it right for the SV-1? I looked at his site and seems genuine advice.but the real question is, using what was supplied, do I just down tune, say one half tone, put the clamps in place, then use the bridge tuners to get back to tune?

I tend to have the fine tuners more than halfway out when I lock it all down, as I tend to find fr trems tend to go flat rather than sharp... could be my setup though. I'm going to pop a f r special in my SV1 as the stock one seems to be arguing with me more than the special I popped into the van halen.

ok. then maybe a whole tone down - the fine tuners on the bridge are not engaged at all yet. so what i am hoping is that if I clamp on now, then i can use the fine tuners to get it right?

Just go with trial and error. You'll find what works for your guitar.

But it really is worth spending a few $ and getting a string bar, then you can tune up to normal pitch,and clamp down without worrying about by how much the string pitch rises as you clamp.

thanks Simon. Now for the intonation. everything was sweet until I pressed down one side of the spring retainer bracket. one side was a little bit hi by a few mm and the back cover couldn't be put on. that seemed to change everything as before the intonation seemed to be very good. now on the top E its out a fair bit.
    I have to check with my meter but here the electric fencing actually interferes with the meter so i have to go by sound.

Now to alter a little bit the backing plate. A little tricky but I do have a press for my Dremmel I got in Germany so I can make a straight cut in the opening for the spring assembly.
    There is one thing I have noticed, the nut is not locked yet as I am trying to let the whole thing settle and the wether here is + and -. Plus has been high as 43 inside and cold as -2.3. Yeh cat crawled under the old down sleeping bag I had on top of a blanket over my German summer Doona .
    So the guitar has been in and out of heat and humidity stress.

There is one thing I noted as I keep playing it a bit like a Rythm guitar, was that a little energy on the neck changes a lot the clearance on the frets at the last fret before the bridge. Maybe I should check again with my neck gauge level to see if it’s all ok or was the rod not screwed just tight and now it’s loose?
    Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Buchanfarmer View Post
    Now to alter a little bit the backing plate. A little tricky but I do have a press for my Dremmel I got in Germany so I can make a straight cut in the opening for the spring assembly.
    There is one thing I have noticed, the nut is not locked yet as I am trying to let the whole thing settle and the wether here is + and -. Plus has been high as 43 inside and cold as -2.3. Yeh cat crawled under the old down sleeping bag I had on top of a blanket over my German summer Doona .
    So the guitar has been in and out of heat and humidity stress.

There is one thing I noted as I keep playing it a bit like a Rythm guitar, was that a little energy on the neck changes a lot the clearance on the frets at the last fret before the bridge. Maybe I should check again with my neck gauge level to see if it’s all ok or was the rod not screwed just tight and now it’s loose?
    Time will tell.

I have found a similar thing with mine, some “energetic” play sees things move a fair bit. The stock springs just didn’t cut it and I had to beef them up with a outlet of extras to get some stability on the trem.
    The stock nut is rubbish and doesn’t hold squat in terms of locking. I will be upgrading this and adding the retainer bar to sort out the wandering tune it seems to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Please, where did you buy the extra springs from? Also it shows your backing plate is routed in, did you do that or is that how it was supplied?

Now, I have still been playing this thing as a rythm guitar. Then I have found some documents I down loaded in about 1998 that has many pics of this guitar. I did not realise I had this stuff

In those times all I was interested in was Guildo Horn, a German who competed in the Eurovision. I have many of his cd’s. He is actually a doctor of mucus and also children’s health I think. Yes many of his songs were take-offs of everyone else but in German language. I thought he was very good actually as a singer and his band was called in English - the old persons socks.
    I think

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast