Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: SV-1 build

Thanks for welcome. This is my first build so I too hope it works out. I have done work on many cheap guitars making them playable and easy to listen.

I did have a real Gibson SG, a Fender strat and a Fender Bass. I had an old Bass before but don't remember the name.
    But all sold because of marriage. Then an Aria made by Merve Cargill over 40 years ago - still got it and still is like it has just today left his workshop.
    Never gets out of tune no matter how hard i play it. Many have tried it and offered lots but no please it is mine.

Ok. Done with sanding sanding and more sanding. Went down to 1000. Thought it was looking good, but I rememberedsome advice from Mr. Alan Wookey, my woodwork teacher as well as Bill Bassett a fine furniture maker who used to work restoring things for Library Victoria - ok sand it and again etc until you see no scratches. Then a very very light coat of shellac. This will highlight the marks do you can sand again.
    I did that and now am in process of first coatings - I love natural wood grain so it is an oil first coat. Yes then polish. Then another and polish.
    Oh you just got to love polish & sanding.
    Now 1000 grade again. The sheen is getting better but I can still see some scratches - these will fill with more oil and buffing I hope.

Hang in sun to cure today while I work.

Welcome Doug! Nice choice of kit. Any progress pics?

welcome Doug sv1 is on my to get list would look good in a flouro green or yellow Thinking out loud lol 😵

Quote Originally Posted by phrozin View Post
    welcome Doug sv1 is on my to get list would look good in a flouro green or yellow Thinking out loud lol 😵
    Hot pink?

Trying to get a pic up but this is an iPad!. Let's try this one. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0597.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	23887 hope that works

As you can see, the top of the posts are level with the top of the routed out section - there is no cracking to be seen. But the screw heads are still about 5mm proud of the top surface - is this a problem please? And yes, the OH&S expert got in the way as usual.
    Doug.

Doug, that’s not an issue mate, if anything you’ll be winding those posts up to get your bridge height set right.
    If you are really concerned, get your neck on in its final(ish) position and clamp it.
    Pop your trem bridge in loosely and run a straight edge across the neck to the bridge, I think you’ll find it will need to go up from where you have those screws set now.

Edit: isn’t it the function of OH&S to get in the way? Usually for the greater good, or in your case an extended scratch or pat😁
    Last edited by FrankenWashie; 03-01-2018 at 06:48 PM.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast