Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I guess it's a good excuse to learn some Meshuggah (...or do they play eight strings?). Super keen to watch this come together
    Heh, I think Meshuggah does eight (!!!!). Wowsies.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    Heh, I think Meshuggah does eight (!!!!). Wowsies.
    That is very many strings; I really don't know how I'd cope. Still kind of keen to try though - I wonder if I could make an eight string neck for one of these kits...

I would be interested to see the result

Hmmmm....8 string scratch build eh? Sounds intriguing....
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

How do I test fit the neck without the bridge pulling out from the string tension?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180101_bridge.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	23870

I'd pop some painters tape on the body, Mark a centreline between the bridge post holes, and then run some cotton thread down the centre of the neck along the centre of the dots, lining it up with the line on the body. That way you know the neck is in line with the centre of the bridge, and don't need to fit it. Check that the posts are equally spaced on the bridge design on course!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    I would be interested to see the result
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Hmmmm....8 string scratch build eh? Sounds intriguing....
    Now I've spent all day thinking about it, I'm kind of tempted. I really love the aesthetic of multi scale eight strings, but I think that would be too hard to arrange with a kit. Might need to be just do a straight eight string neck with a kit and plan for a future fully scratch built
    Multi scale (not too ambitious, right?)

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    I'd pop some painters tape on the body, Mark a centreline between the bridge post holes, and then run some cotton thread down the centre of the neck along the centre of the dots, lining it up with the line on the body. That way you know the neck is in line with the centre of the bridge, and don't need to fit it. Check that the posts are equally spaced on the bridge design on course!
    I tried adapting your idea. Instead of running thread down the middle (as I'd have to change my one neck clamp to two on the outside of the neck) I kept the clamp in the middle of the neck and ran cotton thread down where the high E and low B strings would go. And I put the thread into the bridge as if it was strings.

The low B thread runs parallel to the edge of the neck, but the high E thread starts about 3mm from the edge (head side) and ends about 6mm from the edge (body side). How do I fix this / do I actually need to fix this? I would've thought if I adjusted the neck to fix the E string, it would make the B string go out.

Thx!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180102_bridge1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	469.0 KB 
ID:	23874

I would imagine you are right, fixing one would change the other. I would have thought by altering the angle of the neck horizontally at the joint the tiniest bit this would alter the string spacing, and you would aim for the spacing to be consistent both sides all the way down. Of course if that pic is the neck gluing in its a bit late!
    I don't think you can alter the bridge horizontally, the only way would be to redrill the post holes and I wouldn't do that...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast