Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RCA-4L Paul McCartney Bass

Cool RCA-4L Paul McCartney Bass

My kit arrived last Thursday and today I started to glue my neck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25348541_1708093045879051_6729732847689321611_n.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	23699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25508175_1708093049212384_4213927049193962871_n.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	23700  

Nice, though you might find it cumbersome doing your finish sanding and stain/paint/clear with it all in one piece. Most tend to work on them as separate parts and unify them prior to the final few clear or finish coats.
    If you’ve the space and the fixtures to do it as an assembly then all good. Looks like a lovely kit!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Nice, though you might find it cumbersome doing your finish sanding and stain/paint/clear with it all in one piece. Most tend to work on them as separate parts and unify them prior to the final few clear or finish coats.
    If you’ve the space and the fixtures to do it as an assembly then all good. Looks like a lovely kit!
    Thank you! I have the space to finish it in one piece. I'm going to have a natural polyurethane finish on it. My only concern is; how should I finish the rosewood fretboard, any ideas?

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Welcome CalleRyd and nice looking kit. I've also joined the neck to body in my SG Jnr kit before finishing. It will be a pain to finish but I've got the neck fitting spot-on.
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Quote Originally Posted by CalleRyd View Post
    Thank you! I have the space to finish it in one piece. I'm going to have a natural polyurethane finish on it. My only concern is; how should I finish the rosewood fretboard, any ideas?
    The rosewood boards generally get left until you are ready for final set up, most treat them with lemon oil or a similar fretboard treatment. Typically they will be a bit dry, so they will drink in a fair bit of the oil at first. You apply, let it soak in and then remove any excess. It should leave the board with a nice sheen to it. After that its just a periodic maintenance thing.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Nice! I did this kit, finished in poly too with timber stain. I also stuck the neck and predrilled everything before I painted it, as I modded it a fair bit. I like the neck shape and fret board inlays too.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdosborne View Post
    Welcome CalleRyd and nice looking kit. I've also joined the neck to body in my SG Jnr kit before finishing. It will be a pain to finish but I've got the neck fitting spot-on.
    Thank you Andrew! Nice to hear that the most critical moment worked out precise!
    Last edited by CalleRyd; 19-12-2017 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    The rosewood boards generally get left until you are ready for final set up, most treat them with lemon oil or a similar fretboard treatment. Typically they will be a bit dry, so they will drink in a fair bit of the oil at first. You apply, let it soak in and then remove any excess. It should leave the board with a nice sheen to it. After that its just a periodic maintenance thing.
    Thank you for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    Nice! I did this kit, finished in poly too with timber stain. I also stuck the neck and predrilled everything before I painted it, as I modded it a fair bit. I like the neck shape and fret board inlays too.
    Sounds good! You maybe have any pictures of it?

Here you go, there's a link into the diary in my signature below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0850.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	545.9 KB 
ID:	23716

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast