Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Sonics 3rd Build - The Young Blood SG

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Ok here we go. I'm not really sure how well it illustrates anything other than the guitar makes noise. I can't turn it up very loud as the computer mic peaks out, so it is what it is.

This is through my Ross bass amp, Hagstrom up first (not a really fair comparison, I love this guitar so much, its so warm and smoooooooth)

Excuse the crappy playing and unkempt fat bloke. Always the case when you are on the spot, can't think of a single thing to play, so just rubbish noodling around. I will need to learn something that I can play consistently well, that covers a bit of the fretboard so its easier to do direct comparisons between the settings.

Any, enough excuses, enjoy

If I get keen I'll do a better one.. maybe with a mate playing.

Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

2. Liked by: OliSam

Ha thanks, the guitar far outclasses the player.

I finally got around to running it through some effects this arvo. Holy carp this thing is a monster!

Regardless of the settings its just so clear and in your face. I will say it lacks some of the overall warmth of the Hagstrom, its a very different animal. With the 10's and the amp cranked up and some distortion, its just a riff machine. I am still coming to terms with the variety offered up by the splitting, but I am having a lot fun just playing instead of building for a bit

I can't wait to get it into the hands of some of my mates who are a lot more technically proficient than I am.

5. Liked by: Grubsta

I went to reply to your video and my phone died - d'oh!

Looks and sounds great. I'm completely like you when it comes to feeling like you're not up to the standard of your instrument, but the cool thing is you built it and now you can play it and play it and play it and just get better all the time on an instrument that you built. It's pretty amazing really
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

I did a bit of fretwork on this one last night. It's playing nicely, but I am getting a bit of a rattle from the bridge. Given the rest of the upgrades, its seems sensible to change this as well to bring it up to the rest of the guitar spec. So from memory of reading the forum - there are two different post spacings so I need to determine which this is and order the correct one.

My question is will the kit post receivers work with the after market bridges (same thread/diameter etc)? Can I do a straight swap or am I looking at having to pull them and replace?

EDIT: I'm thinking this one, with 'standard' Tunematic posts? http://luthierssupplies.com.au/produ...oducts_id=2198

I'd love to put a Babicz on it but I'm still in post Christmas financial recovery mode. Happy to hear other recommendations.
    Last edited by Sonic Mountain; 30-01-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11