Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The JBA - 4 Begins.

The JBA - 4 Begins.

Today,

I have bought myself a xmas present. I have ordered my first Ash body kit. The JBA-4 has an Ash body with a maple neck with Rosewood fretboard....nice.

I also ordered a Graphtech (TUSQ) nut, and the Tone Rider neck and bridge pickups.

I was considering better POTS, CAP, and BRIDGE. But no...this will do for now.

I am thinking of trying something different for finishing this time. I have just been to three places to price a home sized spray painting setup......I average four guitars a year and that cost is beyond me....ouch. I then thought about the spray can route....supercheap does a good mix and make it yourself price....the B.G.S. also has some White Knight Stuff that appeals.

But, I have made a P Bass in the past with a spray acrylic finish...it never dried....sanded and now stained green with wipe on poly over the top.

I searched some threads and found the Jazz Bass build of Keith Walters....

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7260

So I am thinking of trying a version of this approach. I think the Ash body would look great with a Cedar Colour from U-Beaut Stains...and I have a small bottle of color-tone Vintage Amber that I think will look wicked on the neck.

I jumped over to Feast Watson site and checked out their write up on the products for sealing porous wood.....hmmmm

Sanding Sealer......

http://www.feastwatson.com.au/consum...t-details/1504

The Fine Buffing oil.....

http://www.feastwatson.com.au/consum...t-details/1526

I have noticed that my colour laser printer is not printing as dark and dense as it did in the past on my water slide decal paper. Just wondering where people get their paper from? Maybe I should try a different supplier. Any suggestions will be diligently assessed.

I have names for all my guitars.....an Ash body Jazz Bass will have to think about this for a little. I already have a Jazzmaster called "Jezzebell." So she will be a dark brown colour with a lot of wood grain showing through......mmmm........Perhaps...."Jazzmine."
    Last edited by ozzbike; 11-12-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Mentor
    Awesome! Make sure you put up some picces once she arrives. Jazzmine is a great name!
    "Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

Great Honour.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Guy View Post
    Awesome! Make sure you put up some picces once she arrives. Jazzmine is a great name!
    It is a great honour to make a weapon of an ilk that is wielded by you mate. Thanks. Jazzmine she is.

Can't help myself...upgrades.

I thought how can just having a look at Real Parts cause a hassle....yeah just a look....

1 x Wilkinson Bridge
    3 x dish back CTS USA solid shaft pots...audio taper...the shorter ones designed to perfectly fit control plates and/or pickguards.
    3 x proper sizing...2 volume and 1 tone...black set screw knobs...All Parts as well with two bigger black knobs and one smaller black knob.

1 x set of $48-00 All Parts Chrome bass tuners....recommended on a number of other bass threads.....

Total to Real Parts $107-40

Total to Pit Bull $301-00

So far:- $408-40

BGS tomorrow to try the stuff listed above......sealer and fine buffing oil....website......

https://www.bunnings.com.au/feast-wa...ealer_p1564778 $14-00

https://www.bunnings.com.au/feast-wa...g-oil_p1564809 $15-70

https://www.bunnings.com.au/uni-pro-...-pack_p1660127 $ 7-40

Sub Total:- $37-10

Grand Total:- $445-50. OUCH.

This syndrome is a tad costly....should take up something cheaper like smoking cigarettes.
    Last edited by ozzbike; 11-12-2017 at 03:01 PM.

More Research.

I have trawled the Youtube woodworking channels and guitar building channels....the internet forums...blogs and anything about finishing wood I could find.

Plan:-

1. 80 grit sanding to clean up the machine marks all over the body.

2. I have downloaded a template for Fender J Bass headstocks.....choice of two models. So, Coping saw roughly and then rasp and file to shape. Sand the edges flat and to the line with 80 grit.

3. Sand body to 120 grit. Wet and check for glue marks...goof off...brass brush...sand 80 and 120 grit until all gone. (Sand around the fretboard and neck junction and the nut area to remove glue marks.

4. Tape up neck pocket and fretboard.

5. 3 x coats of Timbermate/Intergrain Ebony......thick to try and fill the Ash pores.....on the body...sanding to 180 grit between each coat. One coat of Baltic Timbermate/Intergrain to the neck and headstock.....sand to 180 grit.

6. Stain body with the U-Beaut Cedar stain. Stain the neck and headstock with the color-tone Amber stain. (Lightly dampen the surface and knock the nap away at 180 grit three times first.) (Lightly wet the body before applying the stain to try and stop tide lines.)

7. 1 x Coat of Feast Watson Sanding Sealer on both Neck/Headstock and Body......sand to 240 grit after dry.

8. Second coat of Feast Watson Sanding Sealer on both Neck/Headstock and Body......sand to 240 grit after dry. (Apply headstock decals at this stage after sanding....or in between the coats of sanding sealer????)

9. Numerous coats of Feast Watson Fine Buffing Oil applied with 0000 steel wool. Buff with a fine cloth after each coat.....rinse and repeat until I am happy.

10. Leave to Cure for up to 14 days. Then auto products to get a final smooth and shiny finish...Meguiar's ultimate compound....scratch X 2.0......Bowden's Own body prep and Carnauba Wax.... a quick spritz with Quick Gloss Finish.

11. Fit the bits......and pluck away.

The bits are here.

Real Parts parcel has arrived. I like the tuners...love the knobs...the bridge is a little different.

Come on PBG....make my day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171213_17465.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	23685  

what are the tuners Ozz are they a mini elephant ear ? bit hard to see
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Always exciting to get bits! Been going a little silly myself on that front - and there is still more to buy.

With the decal, I normally put mine on after the first coat. I do a sand of the area its going on in fine grit - 1500/2000, apply the decal and let it get really dry. Then build up clear over the top so you can sand back and remove the decal 'edge'.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Yes, be careful of sanding under a decal as this can show up a small fine scratches under the clear areas of the decal. I got caught like this! Now I will do a single coat, decal wiht no sanding and then some more coats to hide the decal edge.

Woks....full size elephant ear tuners from Real Parts...$48 for a set of four.

https://www.realparts.com.au/tuning-...rs-chrome.html

Guys....thank you so much for the decal advice. 😎🎶

Guitar order is still listed as processing????

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast