Thread: Blackwood (Engineered Rosewood) Fretboards

Blackwood (Engineered Rosewood) Fretboards

As you probably know, Rosewood was added to the CITES list of endangered species in February of this year. This means that guitar brands will no longer have access to Rosewood (once suppliers run out of pre-CITES stock) and will need to phase out their Rosewood fretboards.

This has obviously affected all Guitar brands, including Pit Bull Guitars.

After getting samples of a few different fretboard options, we have decided to run with the product known as "Blackwood"; also known as "Engineered Rosewood" or "Imitation Rosewood".

This is a sustainable timber which is treated to produce the distinct look and feel of Rosewood, without impacting the environment.

This move is consistent with some major brands who will be using Blackwood for their mid- and budget-priced guitars.

I have already updated the descriptions on the site to reflect this move to Blackwood on some models.

We will be contacting all customers this weekend who have a backorder in our system for a kit with a Rosewood fretboard, to advise of this change. Customers will have the option to change or cancel their order.

For some popular models; like ST and TL kits, we do still have limited stock of Rosewood necks, and Australian customers will have the option to accept an unmatched Rosewood neck, where available.

Also, on some models, like the EX kits, we will be offering the option of Ebony or Blackwood necks. Ebony is a little more expensive (+AU$20) as the product costs the factory (and us) more.

We will also look at offering many more kits with a Maple fretboard option.

Looking ahead, we will keep an ear and eye on the market to see what the feedback is on Blackwood and also other fretboard options.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

I saw the title and though there was going to be blackwood timber as a body option, and was like 'holy shit, that's a cool but pricey option'

What would an "unmatched neck" mean for me.
    I asked for the rosewood for my bass backorder and have started to wonder if this was the wisest decision.

anyone able to elaborate on the unmatched neck concept? would this cause me difficulties?

regards Guv

Bodies and necks are made as a 'matched' pair. You'll see a number (eg. 19) in the neck pocket of the body and on the heel of the neck showing they were made to fit each other. 'Unmatched' is a general neck for a particular kit model that should be a close fit, but not made for/matched to a specific body. Generally they'll be a reasonable fit, but may not fit quite as well as a matched neck. Emphasise the may. I wouldn't hesitate if rosewood was my preference.
    Last edited by WeirdBits; 10-12-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    Scott.