Thread: How do you do, fellow kids?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How do you do, fellow kids?

Hello from warm sunny Tasmania!

(I'm actually from Adelaide, so no I don't have two heads. Or any hot cousins.)

After binging on the rather wonderful Crimson Guitars Youtube channel for a few months, I have decided that I'm going to build my own damn guitar for a change! With blackjack! And hookers!

I aim to build myself a heavily customised Pitbull EXA7; through-body stringing with a fixed Hipshot Ibby HM7 bridge, Hipshot locking tuners, and Q-Tuner 2.0 pickups. I have the first version of these in my cheap-arsed Ibanez RG7321, and mein Gott im Himmel they sound great. Not to mention they look amazing. Also, I'm going to have an extra-large control cavity routed for future expansion - I hope to have some Piezo saddle piece pickups at some point in the future. Should be interesting on a 7-string!

I'm also going to finish it with some of the more interesting techniques that Ben from Crimson Guitars has been showing off; either with a burned, stained & oiled finish, or with some kind of aged copper metal finish. Or both. Or something else. Who cares, it'll be great!

Just one problem: I've never built a guitar before.
    This could be... interesting.

I also need a 5-string bass. I've been meaning to buy one for years, but have never gotten around to it, so I just decided about an hour ago to buy an EX-5 kit and use that for practice. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? I cock up and get an unplayable bass for a fistful of dollarydoos? Much better that than specify exact details of a customised kit (for a few dollarydoos more), only to mess that up after 2-3 months of waiting, right?

Anyway, I'll try to keep you all updated as I go, seeing as I don't have anything even vaguely resembling a workshop.

Rock on, kids!

- unfunk
    Last edited by unfnknblvbl; 06-12-2017 at 08:55 PM.
    On the peaks of radiant mountains, this truth is growing before me...