Thread: Piezo bridge and magnetic pickup- how to wire?

Mentor

Piezo bridge and magnetic pickup- how to wire?

Hi all, I'm toying with the idea of putting a piezo bridge on the Thylacine as well as a magnetic soapbar pickup. Does anyone have a wiring scheme? Is it madness to attempt this as a novice? Any advice is welcome!

Cheers!
    "Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

MWA HAHAHAHAHAHA! Go Nuts! Jump in that deep end and see how you go!

The FrankenLab has a proud tradition of "Hold my Beer and watch this..." which can lead to some spectacular Failure (EXA-1) but can also generate some fairly interesting results (FrankenLab experiments #1 & 2).
    Along the way you pick up skills and develop your tool handling techniques to meet your needs, and there is always the University of YouTube to show you 2 or 3 methods for getting something done....and probably 400 ways to do it unsafely.

I think Robin has done a similar set up in one of his build, but i can't seem to find that thread, I will try and dig it out.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

It depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Piezo and magnetics don't really combine easily, so you can either wire it as stereo with one pickup to each out (with amps/DI to suit each pup type) or go for an onboard preamp/mixer that can handle both piezo and magnetic pickups to a mono out.

Something like the Richter MX2 would probably be a viable option as it can be tweaked to match the level of each pup etc. (Specs/Wiring). Add some passive controls around it for tone/volume tweaks etc. I'd check some reviews of this and similar systems and decide which way you want to go.
    Scott.

Some have used the ToneMonster preamps - http://www.guitarfuel.com/Preamps.php - Wokka and Lawry from memory on IB-6S'. I think they liked them and they come in at a "reasonable" price...

Diagram here shows Piezo and passives in a dual circuit...
    http://www.guitarfuel.com/Piezo_Transducer_Bridge.php