Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Strat refurb

Good on you for having a go mate. I bought this ol girl in July. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	607.9 KB 
ID:	23580

Stripped it. Purchased new Wilkinson black hardware,Wilkinson black tremelo
    cleaned and polished the pick guard, stainless steel screws, and got a mate who painted it for me. I only made one mistake unknowingly. And that is I didn't put any copper shielding in so I'm going to remove the strings and pick guard and do that and put it back together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	810.0 KB 
ID:	23581
    Last edited by Ozo; 05-12-2017 at 11:03 AM.

2. Liked by: Andyxlh

Wow Ozo - looks so good! Did you strip it with the old heat gun and scraper technique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks great, paint unreal!

So I’ve pulled her apart and given her a quick clean. Lined up the neck with a straight edge and I’m pretty confident that it is straight. Thinking I’ll try thinning the neck down a little and then refinishing. This forum seems to have mainly tru oil fans - but I’ve seen other places recommend wipe-on poly or Tung oil for necks - any strong opinions on these options?

My hardware pack arrived from Pitbull and I’m pretty impressed - I was expecting similar quality to what’s already on the guitar, but the tuners especially are a step up! Amazing for 40 bucks!

Nice! Did you order the copper tape too? There's a nice big holethere to cover!
    I have had a lot of success with spray satin poly clear from Cabots, which feels really nice and not sticky when playing.
    You could get. A custom headstock decal for a few dollars to replace that one too.
    I have profiled the neck on my Frankenstein strat, I blocked it down with 80 grit to thin it, and then contoured it with 80 when I was happy with the overall thickness. Then went up to 400 grit to get it smooth.

7. Liked by: funkjunky3

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    Nice! Did you order the copper tape too? There's a nice big holethere to cover!
    I have had a lot of success with spray satin poly clear from Cabots, which feels really nice and not sticky when playing.
    You could get. A custom headstock decal for a few dollars to replace that one too.
    I have profiled the neck on my Frankenstein strat, I blocked it down with 80 grit to thin it, and then contoured it with 80 when I was happy with the overall thickness. Then went up to 400 grit to get it smooth.
    Yep, got the copper tape thanks to a generous Adam (I forgot to add it to the order and he threw it in for me to avoid costing me extra on shipping)

Such a big hole to cover - almost wondering if I should go silly and do p90s or humbuckers to make use of all the room. Will wait til i have her playing nicely before I go fiddling with pickups and electronics.

Cheers for your tips on the neck reshape - will give it a crack!

Hey, that hole is almost big enough to put your amp in 😊

Quadruple HB with freeway and push pulls?😂🤪
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Quadruple HB with freeway and push pulls?🤪
    Freeway switch looks interesting! Better figure out if I can actually solder an input and and earth before I get too excited though.

Quote Originally Posted by funkjunky3 View Post
    So I’ve pulled her apart and given her a quick clean. Lined up the neck with a straight edge and I’m pretty confident that it is straight. Thinking I’ll try thinning the neck down a little and then refinishing. This forum seems to have mainly tru oil fans - but I’ve seen other places recommend wipe-on poly or Tung oil for necks - any strong opinions on these options?

My hardware pack arrived from Pitbull and I’m pretty impressed - I was expecting similar quality to what’s already on the guitar, but the tuners especially are a step up! Amazing for 40 bucks!

Hi mate welcome i have done a few refurb's one guitars i'm actually doing a super strat i picked up from cashies on tuesday was a spew blue, a couple of tricks i do before i start i always fill in the screw holes with match's there a perfect fit and more times than not i also do the bridge holes as well. it comes in handy when you wet and dry as you cant get water in there and swell the wood also when you remove the old paint try not sand to much in to the wood as you wont need to use a binder. I also use a hair dryer to remove the old paint then i use Stanley knife blades to scrape the wood and left over paint much easier and faster than sanding and when sanding always use a block

13. Liked by: funkjunky3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast