Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aussie tube amps from days long gone...

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    The Lenard had 2x4 ported cabinets and the 8x12 Marshall "fridge" cabinet was a prototype for Pete Townsend
    The 'fridge' makes sense with what I remember... Oh the glory days of inadequate PA systems...

Yep, P.A. systems back in the day were a bit under powered for the job, so bands had to rely on amps such as the 100 Watt Marshall Super Lead Plexi to provide enough volume to be heard over the crowd, The Beatles could barely hear themselves over the screaming fans, even with their 30 Watt Vox AC30 amps, things started to change when Marshall first released the JTM45, and it was Pete Townsend who wanted a louder amp to be able to compete with Keith Moon, the who's drummer, Pete was also responsible for inspiring Marshall to create the first Marshall Stack that featured a head mounted on top of two 4 X 12 cabs, Ritchie Blackmore used a 200 watt Marshall Major (Marshall's most powerful amp at the time) while playing in Deep Purple, Mick Ronson who played guitar in David Bowie's band also used the Marshall Major onstage as well.

Bands, such as The who, Led Zeppelin, and The Jimi Hendrix Experience, would have not one, but multiple Marshall Stacks set up onstage, later on as P.A. systems were perfected, there was less of a need for very loud amps onstage.

Watched the first episode of the Easy Beats special on our ABC... at the start (before their first #1) it seems they used Vase amps in the studio, and VOX pathfinder sized amps during their initial practice sessions...

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Watched the first episode of the Easy Beats special on our ABC... at the start (before their first #1) it seems they used Vase amps in the studio, and VOX pathfinder sized amps during their initial practice sessions...
    I noticed the Vase amps as well, they were certainly around back then but from memory were pretty rare in Sydney

Back when I was a teenager in High school in Brisbane a bunch of us used to jam in the garage of our drummers house. The schools Fender JB Bass guitar and vocals through the borrowed Vase PA, A Gibson LP standard on lead guitar through a VOX (of some sort) and my Plywood Ason Strat (which I still have) on rhythm through a solid state Music man 1x12.
    It was the late '70's and we thought we sounded great playing the songs of that period, but the end of our time at school put an end to any higher aspirations as a band and the end of me as a bass player. Our drummer (Tanya) went on to a music career based at the Brisbane conservatory of music.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2