Thread: Sonics Semi-Scratch experiment - Flying Victory

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar

Sonics Semi-Scratch experiment - Flying Victory

Another thread that may be slow moving until I get some time to work on this.....

I've been chipping away at this idea for a while now. I wanted to make use of my design skills and experience using computer cutting. Initially I wanted to get a whole bunch different woods cut and sandwich them together, but the costs involved got a bit much for something I wasn't entirely sure would work. So instead of using a bunch of different woods, I'm starting out with an MDF fascia, which will also be the template for the construction of the rest of the body. I hereby christen it "Reverbanite (TM)" as its all in the marketing really.....

I was planning on getting the flower design engraved, but after a bit of discussion with the laser cutters I've elected to just mask it out for now. This way I could route it out with a dremel or more likely spray it to get the design on the front of the guitar.

I know MDF... I mean "Reverbanite (TM)" probably doesn't have much of a footprint as a construction material, but I think as a fascia it will be fine and I can use mahogany or something for the main body.

Anyway, I'm really excited with the results of the initial cut. The neck is a perfect fit, so now I just need to order some other hardware and see how close I got in the software. These were pretty cheap to get done $35 for the pair, with the masking design. So even if I've stuffed it up, its not a big deal to adjust the files and get some new ones cut.

EDIT: the green leaf is because I got too excited when weeding and pulled the wrong bit of mask up :/ fortunately there is a line in the material I can follow with a sharp blade to replace it with normal tape.

Last edited by Sonic Mountain; 09-11-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"