Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonics Semi-Scratch experiment - Flying Victory

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I had assumed that your join line would have been down the center line of the body?

Yeah that would be the way to do it normally (properly) but the two pieces together are not quite wide enough so I just tipped it on it's side. I think this will be a bit stronger for the neck join as well, but I'm mostly doing this one to practice using the new machine.

Did you run the whole body width in the one pass?

Yep, it was very easy. I trimmed down to within about 10mm with the circular saw first, but yeah, it just buzzed through it no worries.

Was that the standard Diablo/BGS follow bit?

Yeah it is, I think it's 50mm tall flush trim with the bearing at the 'top'. I'll be interested to see how it goes with a harder wood. I have budget for a few more so I may upgrade. The router is the best bang for buck I could find and so far I'm pretty impressed (its a bit scary at full boar).

How was the stability of the Ozito table?

Yeah fine, I've just screwed it onto a short school desk I have here so I can take it outside, there was a phenomenal amount of shavings and dust generated. Given all my computers and guitars are in this same room.. not ideal lol.

For the price the table is great IMO, I mean it's typical Ozito, but does what I need. One day when I have a bit more room I'll drop that into a nice big 1800 x 900 bench and it'll be unreal. It comes with a whole lot of other useful stuff and extensions that I haven't fully explored. It's going to be very handy I think.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    I had assumed that your join line would have been down the center line of the body?

Yeah that would be the way to do it normally (properly) but the two pieces together are not quite wide enough so I just tipped it on it's side. I think this will be a bit stronger for the neck join as well, but I'm mostly doing this one to practice using the new machine.

Did you run the whole body width in the one pass?

Yep, it was very easy. I trimmed down to within about 10mm with the circular saw first, but yeah, it just buzzed through it no worries.

Was that the standard Diablo/BGS follow bit?

Yeah it is, I think it's 50mm tall flush trim with the bearing at the 'top'. I'll be interested to see how it goes with a harder wood. I have budget for a few more so I may upgrade. The router is the best bang for buck I could find and so far I'm pretty impressed (its a bit scary at full boar).

How was the stability of the Ozito table?

Yeah fine, I've just screwed it onto a short school desk I have here so I can take it outside, there was a phenomenal amount of shavings and dust generated. Given all my computers and guitars are in this same room.. not ideal lol.

For the price the table is great IMO, I mean it's typical Ozito, but does what I need. One day when I have a bit more room I'll drop that into a nice big 1800 x 900 bench and it'll be unreal. It comes with a whole lot of other useful stuff and extensions that I haven't fully explored. It's going to be very handy I think.
    Thanks for the comprehensive response mate, I had seen the Ozito tables in BGS for as little as $69.00 over Christmas. The Kreg one I was lusting after is around $350.00 dearer than that.

I've got some rudimentary dust/Shavings collection in place with a home built cyclone bucket system on my shop vac and no issues with computers or guitars (not finished ones anyway) to contend with in the Lab so its cool, I'm building a sanding station/shaping station so i may have to revisit the Ozito unit.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    (its a bit scary at full boar).
    A bit of a pig then.
    Sorry couldn't resist.

cheers, Mark.

The bodging continues.

I decided to try and fix my head stock shape using an off cut from the steam punker head stock. Basically making it the same as my other 3+3 headstock shapes. I'm going to do this whole thing in solid off white/cream, so not particularly worried about all the bog.

Also bogged up a couple of my routing boo boos.

Bit of a sand and some spray putty and it should all be good.

I'm intrigued as to how this is going to pan out.
    FrankenLab

Lol, well you can hide a multitude of evils with a light solid colour, let me put it that way

Some tidying up done..... just using automotive epoxy, I'll be interested to see how it goes on the wood. It's designed to be slightly flexible to avoid cracking so fingers crossed....

You know whenever anyone mentions "Multitude of Evils" Igor gets a peculiar twitch. Its completely distinct from his normal twitch.
    Best log off eBay and lock the lab terminal.
    FrankenLab

Lol, troublesome fellow isn't he?

Another thing I've been fiddling with today is 3D printing a head stock logo.

Here it is out of the printer

and here with a tidy up using a stanley knife and a couple of coats of rustoleum.

I think once its dry If I give it a sand and then paint again it will look pretty cool.

That is sick! Will that go on with glue or will you inlay it?
    FrankenLab

Probably just glue it on, but there is potential for inlays in the future. I wouldn't mind trying some chrome effect paint on one as well to make it like a car badge.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast