Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sonics Semi-Scratch experiment - Flying Victory

Overlord of Music FrankenWashie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Starting to feel a bit like Christmas... another order from a while ago arrived today.

I saw these on Teamjeffos build and thought they looked awesome - so based purely on that I bought some.

Another slightly weird headstock treatment - It will work with the body shape, but looks a bit odd at the moment.

As much as I like the grovers, the don't really suit this head stock - I'm thinking of trying to change the actual peg 'heads' to somthing a bit more angular. I'm also toying with having them mounted on an angle - more to come.

I need to start seriously looking at some timber - my ideas with this keep evolving, but right now I think I want to get some maple to match the neck and do a kind of semi whitewashed finish something like this.

Yers, I went looking for heavy pickups and ended up with LACE Dissonant Aggressors for the silent build, still a ways off getting them firing though.

I must say that LP whitewash pic is rather noice....it would be a cool contrast with the ebony fret board.
    Project list:

#1: 16/001: PBG EXA-1. Complete, finish fail, tweaking set up.
    #2: FrankenWashie Resurrection. Complete, playing with set up and fiddlin'.
    #3: 16/002: PBG SV-1. Final colour coats, Inlay Work.
    #4: 16/003: The Cliché Black LP. Still trying to get black flat.
    #5: 16/004: TLA-TH-TBA. Final coat, assembly and set up.
    #6: 17/001: The IB-Freebie. Covers, Shielding, Neck finals.
    #7: FrankenLab Experiment 2. The Silent Build.

Bit more mucking around. I decided to try and mod the tuners using the PBG tuners (which I'm starting to get a bit of a collection of) I pulled them apart and, what do you know, but the threads etc are the same, and the dimensions close enough that some parts are interchangeable. I quite like this.

Some doodling of mods on the headstock - I'm going to make a long odd shaped truss rod cover - a little like the Rickenbacker headstock I suppose.

Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7788

Build 2 - The Relliecaster-http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=8005

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

looks good Sonic. Are they 3 +3 tuners ? Headstock shape looking good and will look cool with Ricky style TRC
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 08-12-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

The grovers are 3+3, the ones I borrowed bits from are all just in a container together - mostly the inline 6. I kept the most important bits of the grovers for the 3+3 arrangement.

So otherwise I've been looking around for wood sources. Most of the solid body pieces I have found aren't quite big enough for the V. Any recommendations?

There is a pretty good site for a guy in Maleny - which is fairly close to me. It may be I have to modify my design a bit to suit the wood sizes. I don't want to go too crazy with the price either....
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7788

Build 2 - The Relliecaster-http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=8005

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2