Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is there a paint(spray)/lacquer for applying on a fretboard?

Is there a paint(spray)/lacquer for applying on a fretboard?

Hi Guy's, I'm thinking of a new build (when I have put some money aside) and I have an idea that will make a neck look very differently as a usual neck.

My plan is to go for the EX-1 with black hardware.

I'm thinking of doing a (spray)paintjob with gloss black and then make some stripes with maskingtape (like the Eddy van Halen strat) and use matted black to repaint the body. After removing the maskingtape I should get a van Halen like body with gloss and matt black finish.

Now the neck... I want it to be matted black finished. Now the back and headstock is easy but comes the fun part. I want to (spray)paint the fretboard as well. First with matted black and then I want to (spray)paint) the parts of the fretboard (where you would normally find the dotmarkers) with gloss black.

But what paint or lacquer is strong enough to endure the strings working on the fretboard while playing? I was thinking of paint that is used in the automotive industry but is there something els I could use? And how could I mask the frets?
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

You could always apply a thin coat of epoxy resin over your board after the paint has gone on.
    You’d probably want a thinned board, paint your graphic, then build the board up with the epoxy to a rough final height, radius it, sand and polish it, then slot it for your frets.
    Trying to do it between already fitted frets would be a nightmare.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

You could also possibly use an undiluted black stain such as colourtone (undiluted it is black as black can be) and maybe replace the dot markers with a glossy plastic or other material. With the stain you could do easily with frets on.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by vh2580 View Post
    You could also possibly use an undiluted black stain such as colourtone (undiluted it is black as black can be) and maybe replace the dot markers with a glossy plastic or other material. With the stain you could do easily with frets on.
    Could be an option but I want to stick to my original idea. So no dotmarkers visible

I should stop making suggestions towards Black EXs seeing as mine has been a nightmare disaster.
    FrankenLab

you could custom order a kit with ebony fretboard and no markers
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I should stop making suggestions towards Black EXs seeing as mine has been a nightmare disaster.
    Haha Frank, that's exactly the answer that I'd thought you would give. Bummer on yors but you'll figure it out sometimes ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    you could custom order a kit with ebony fretboard and no markers
    True, but I really want the fretboard to show a matted finish with the fretboard at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th and so on to be glossy black.
    C'mon guys, that would be great looking! Will it? Or am I the only one possible to visualise this?

Oh! I see what you’re going for now. Tough to find a coating that will stand up to it for long, and fiddle to do cleanly between frets,
    FrankenLab

My Westone Spectrum MX has a red fretboard which is as tough a paint finish as anything I've ever seen! I was told once that the paint was probably a catalysed polyurethane; does that sound right?
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by corsair View Post
    My Westone Spectrum MX has a red fretboard which is as tough a paint finish as anything I've ever seen! I was told once that the paint was probably a catalysed polyurethane; does that sound right?
    Could you post a picture of that neck please? I'll do some research on that 'catalysed polyurethane'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast