Thread: Coloured PU covers

Coloured PU covers

Any chance of coloured PU covers for the PU options to match the kit options.

ie. Black kit options but the Toneriders are only available in white

I have just fitted Tonerider Vintage Classics to my STA replacing the standard black kit items.

The kit pups have 48/50/52mm coil spacing and the Toneriders are all 52mm, purchased replacement items from evilbay but it would appear the TR coil cheeks are wider than Strat pups because these flare out when fitted and jam in the pickguard.

The kit 52mm cover fits like a glove so the kit ones are possibly moulded from slightly thinner plastic than the eBay options.

The kit covers also have a nice textured finish and the others are bright gloss.

There are two ways you can make your own personalized pickup covers.

One involves polymer clay, which you roll out, cut/mould to shape, then bake in a oven till it hardens.....you can do all sorts of things with this stuff, like texture it, put glitter etc in it, they also have Metalic colors..... but it's trial and error territory till you get exactly what you want, as it shrinks a bit when baked.
    I recommend KATO brand polymer clay for this, as it's really tough once baked, as it's designed to make wearable jewellery.
    https://polymerclay.com.au/clay-craf.../kato-polyclay

The other method involves making a mould of the pickup cover you want, then using casting and embedding resin to make the covers.
    Best stuff to make a cast with is this reusable Composimould
    http://composimoldstore.com/