Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sonics Washburn Rebirth

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yeah I'm in the camp of any Star Wars is good Star Wars. People forget about the 1978 Holiday special. It set such an impossibly low bar that everything since (Including the Caravan of Courage and the Prequels) has been welcome.

I really loved Force Awakens and Last Jedi was solid, but as you say a bit unexpected in the way its treated some of the tenants of the universe. It has its negative points, but gee some of the good stuff was amazing.

I have a few bits and pieces of memorabilia , but my favourite is a very rare DVD of the original theatrical release completely unaltered (Before George wrecked the original prints). Unfortunately its only SD, but it is wide screen, Han definitely shoots first.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Yeah I'm in the camp of any Star Wars is good Star Wars. People forget about the 1978 Holiday special. It set such an impossibly low bar that everything since (Including the Caravan of Courage and the Prequels) has been welcome.

I really loved Force Awakens and Last Jedi was solid, but as you say a bit unexpected in the way its treated some of the tenants of the universe. It has its negative points, but gee some of the good stuff was amazing.

I have a few bits and pieces of memorabilia , but my favourite is a very rare DVD of the original theatrical release completely unaltered (Before George wrecked the original prints). Unfortunately its only SD, but it is wide screen, Han definitely shoots first.
    I seem to remember getting a bag of stuff from some friends of my mum and dad, and there was some Star Wars related stuff in it, can't remember what they were though, also remember listening to a tape of the Star Wars soundtrack from Episode IV: A New Hope, not long after the movie was released, I think that was back in about 1978 or so but I could be wrong, my whole family were all Star Wars fans, also remember watching the first Battlestar Galactica movie at the picture gardens, geez, the years go by quick.

Heh, Sounds like you have a few years on me Doc. I saw Return of The Jedi at the cinemas in Sydney when I was 5 or 6. All I really have vivd memories of is the partially completed Death Star and the Ewoks. But that was enough, I've been somewhat obsessed with it ever since.

And sci-fi in general, I love 50's-to late 70's Sci-fi pulp novels as well as Asimov, Clarke, Aldiss etc etc... Its so much fun reading that now and seeing what was predicted and what just never happened. Some of it is eerie.

I loved the Ewoks as a kid (and still do...). I always wished I could visit Endor, and to be honest most of my interest in astronomy stems from watching Star Wars as a kid.

I still haven’t seen the original Battlestar Galactica, but I love the more recent series
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Best ever sci fi /fantasy fiction book was "The Magician" Raymond Feist
    Builds to date
    #1, 3 string box guitar
    #2, GR-1SF, November guitar of the month 2016
    #3, Charvel Surfcaster tribute scratch build. ( Completed )
    #4, Pawn shop Strat ( Completed )
    #5, Current build MM-1Q

Quote Originally Posted by JB RETRO View Post
    Best ever sci fi /fantasy fiction book was "The Magician" Raymond Feist
    Yeah I don't go much for fantasy stuff but that series was cool. I only read up to A Darkness at Sethanon and didn't go any further than that. I have that first trilogy, I'm trying to get my middle kid to read it. A lot of stuff from it certainly stuck with me, but its been years since I read it.

I read a few of his books years ago, and quite enjoyed them. It was so long ago though, I’ll have to revisit them I think
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Heh, Sounds like you have a few years on me Doc. I saw Return of The Jedi at the cinemas in Sydney when I was 5 or 6. All I really have vivd memories of is the partially completed Death Star and the Ewoks. But that was enough, I've been somewhat obsessed with it ever since.

And sci-fi in general, I love 50's-to late 70's Sci-fi pulp novels as well as Asimov, Clarke, Aldiss etc etc... Its so much fun reading that now and seeing what was predicted and what just never happened. Some of it is eerie.

Seeing as I'm a bit of a Technology-phile, I've always been right into SciFi, I managed to get DVDs of the first three Dr Who episodes featuring William Hartnell as the Doctor, got them a few years ago from JB Hi Fi, there's a certain British quaint-ness to the way they depicted technology in those early episodes, I think the black and white presentation added to them since you could then use your imagination.

See if you can find a DVD of the original 50's B-Grade version of "The Day The Earth Stood Still", very classic SciFi stuff.

Also got a DVD of another classic 70's SciFi movie called "The Black Hole", was pretty stoked about finding a copy of it since I'd read the comic book version of it when I was a kid.

Planet Of The Apes is another one of those old classic SciFi movies, as is "War Of The Worlds", saw both the 50's Technicolour version and the later remake of it, but I recon the 50's Technicolour version's better.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 25-01-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Yeah I don't go much for fantasy stuff but that series was cool. I only read up to A Darkness at Sethanon and didn't go any further than that. I have that first trilogy, I'm trying to get my middle kid to read it. A lot of stuff from it certainly stuck with me, but its been years since I read it.
    I'm the same, but those books hooked me.
    Builds to date
    #1, 3 string box guitar
    #2, GR-1SF, November guitar of the month 2016
    #3, Charvel Surfcaster tribute scratch build. ( Completed )
    #4, Pawn shop Strat ( Completed )
    #5, Current build MM-1Q

We are going down a rabbit hole now, but I have copies of both the original day the earth stood still and the black hole. I remember seeing the black hole for the first time- it was so dark it freaked me out. It doesn't hold up as well overall these days, but it has some great moments. Maximillion was terrifying. I've seen the older war of the worlds. My dad made me listen to the radio play when I was a kid. I also loved day of the triffids. The movie, book and BBC series.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast