Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonics Washburn Rebirth

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I think I finally have all the bits I need to finish this one off. I have had a bit of trouble finding a suitable replacement jack. I have ended up with this DiMarzio EP1300 endpin jack. There was no diagram with it and I can't seem to find the exact one online. Can anyone confirm which tab the earth goes to? Silver or Copper?

Cheers.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

From this it looks like square is the tip and rounded is the ring, but the image looks mirrored to yours so some testing may be required.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIM-EP1300.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	24428

A cheap multimeter is invaluable for things like this. Or, just plug a lead into the jack and the other end into an amp and start touching lugs with your finger tip to find the hot.
    Scott.

Cheers Weirdy. Yeah good call, I do have a multimeter. I saw that image but couldn't be 100% sure. I guess its not biggie to swap it if I get it wrong first go.

Hoping to get a chance to sit down this arvo and workout my wiring for this one. I've decided to just do a coil split on the humbucker and run a normal tone pot. As with the SG, so many options for tones once you start doing that I get lost in an hour of playing around with it rather than practicing......

Just plugged it in he copper/square one buzzes when I touch it so I guess thats hot.

Oh boy.

I've just had a go at working this out and I am just confusing myself. Two main issues - I want to reuse my 5 way switch, but it doesn't seem to correlate to any 5-way switch style diagrams I can find and even though I can see its inner workings, its bending my brain trying to work out the correct ins and outs.

Second, I'm having trouble locating a basic 2 single, 1 humbucker, 5 way switch, 1 volume, 1 tone diagram as a jump off. On the SG I copied a standard LP diagram and then added in the switching pots, I'm struggling to do the same here.

So this is what I have:

My 5 Way Switch

Wires from the humbucker

Entwistle instructions

My diagram in blank form.

If its not too much trouble it'd be great if someone could draw in the correct wiring path as when I try I keep painting myself into a corner with a non working circuit. I just want it fairly normal and then when I pull up on the volume pot the humbucker splits to single coil

"Help me Weirdbits....

I've come across one of those 5-way pickup switches before, they're actually not that complicated to work out, I'll see if I can come up with a suitable wiring-diagram for you mate.

On that switch you posted, one set of three contacts are for the three pickups and the other three are for your tone controls, the contact in the middle of the switch is common to both sets of three contacts and is normally connected up to the volume control, I'll draw up a diagram to illustrate my point.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 25-01-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    I've come across one of those 5-way pickup switches before, they're actually not that complicated to work out, I'll see if I can come up with a suitable wiring-diagram for you mate.
    Thank you I'd really appreciate it Doc. Yeah, I can see how its working but my brain is refusing to keep all the balls in the air.

Theres no rush, I'll have another look at it in the morning when I'm fresh as well, I find after about 2pm I'm only really good for menial tasks

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post

On that switch you posted, one set of three contacts are for the three pickups and the other three are for your tone controls, the contact in the middle of the switch is common to both sets of three contacts and is normally connected up to the volume control, I'll draw up a diagram to illustrate my point.
    Yes the middle contact to volume is correct based on what I can tell from the remnants of previous wiring. And yep 3 contacts and three pickups makes sense, although the top contacts have never been used. If you look in the switch it does a bridge between contacts in the 'between' position.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Yes the middle contact to volume is correct based on what I can tell from the remnants of previous wiring. And yep 3 contacts and three pickups makes sense, although the top contacts have never been used. If you look in the switch it does a bridge between contacts in the 'between' position.

Here we go, this is how you would wire the switch up as per a Strat type guitar with three single-coils, a volume control, and two tone controls:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Switch Wiring_resized.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	293.2 KB 
ID:	24434

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Thank you I'd really appreciate it Doc. Yeah, I can see how its working but my brain is refusing to keep all the balls in the air.

Theres no rush, I'll have another look at it in the morning when I'm fresh as well, I find after about 2pm I'm only really good for menial tasks

No worries, I'm actually having a pretty easy day today at home so I've got heaps of time on my hands.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast