Thread: Nitro Alkyd paint? Thoughts?

Nitro Alkyd paint? Thoughts?

Hi All.

Ive recently acquired a TL-51 ash kit, and am soon to dive into the first stages of sanding, sanding, sanding, preparation... and paint.

Note, that I really dont want a diamond like finish here... If the finish ends up a little satin, and maybe a little thin, im not really worried.

Enter - Belton Molotow nitro alkyd paint.
    https://567king.com/online-store/art...ium-400ml.html

There are a number of reasons i'm leaning toward this paint. Range of colours, cost, availability..

I suppose im just wanting some thoughts.

The Belton Molotow Premium range advises that it is nitro alkyd based. Is this just a fancy name for enamel (or oil based)? If I end up using this paint, can anyone recommend an undercoat - Freely available from local Hardware stores.

You be the judge

Stolen from wiki Enamels paints can also refer to nitro-cellulose based paints, one of the first modern commercial paints of the 20th century. Eventually, they were substitute for new synthetic binding like alkyd, acrylic and vinyl (a type of "látex"), this mainly due to toxicity, safety and conservation (tendency to age yellow).

I used the Belton Molotow to paint my squier tele. 'nipple pink'
    Tangerine was the listed name.
    Seemed to come up O.K.
    Given that it's aimed at graffiti artists it went on nice and flat and dried fairly quick.
    I did use Feast Watson wipe-on poly but in hindsight should have used the Molotow clear instead.

Having said that (call me fickle) I since stripped it back and went for a mahogany stain.

I'd happily use it again though.

cheers, Mark.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I don't think the undercoat will matter as long as it's well cured. This stuff is supposed to stick to anything.

Personally I would stick with a paint system that has its own undercoat, top and clear for best results.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

It says it has a semi-gloss finish, whilst a few reports on it other forums seem to indicate that it gives a very flat, non-shiny finish. So it certainly wont give anything like a full shine unless you go over it with a clear gloss lacquer.