Thread: Tele 2 Hum 1 vol 1 tone 5 way pick up

Tele 2 Hum 1 vol 1 tone 5 way pick up

Hi All, newbie as a poster, been lurking around the forum for a while!

I am doing some digging for a build that I am about to order.

The net is full of a 5 way super switch wiring by Seymour Duncan, which allow a wide array of possibilities, in particular, having outside single coils and inside single coils.

I was under the impression that this require the fender super 5 way switch, like this

LINK

However, more digging yielded another one which doesn't seem to require the super switch, like this LINK

Does anyone have much experience in this area?

Thanks in advance!

G'day OTH,

Scott ( Weirdbits ) is the man to answer your questions, send him a PM if he doesn't answer your post

There's lots of different ways you can do that sort of split, depending on the specific combo's you want and/or the type of switch(es) you prefer to use. Both of those SD diagrams work for particular combinations. The 5-way superswitch gives a lot of flexibity with how you can configure it, but it's a BIG switch and will require some tweaks to the cavity to squeeze it into a Tele. The second diagram's standard CRL 5-way config is more limited, particularly with position ordering for the splits, but is an option.

A few other choices:

• Standard 3 or 4-way Tele switch with a pair of push/pulls. Volume push/pull turns the splits on/off and tone push/pull selects which coils are active. This would give you pretty much any combo as long as you don't want to mix a humbucker with a split.
    • Megaswitch variants: E switch will probably get you what you want, or a P switch for a PRS'esque set of combo's.
    • Freeway switch, if you're willing to use a toggle instead of a blade. It'll give you 6 positions with lots of different possible combinations.

Of course, it also depends on which pickups you end up using, but if you know what specific combo's you want the. we can work out how best to achieve it.
    Last edited by WeirdBits; 23-10-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    Scott.

Thanks Scott, I have considered push-pull as well - but Adam at Pit Bull kindly offered to add a 5-way and I can't resist the simplicity and not having to order another push pull volume knob even though they're not expensive.

I have considered giving the parallel and series combo but can't say they really grab me (lots of youtube clips).

I am liking the tele having a stand alone controls so I can test a few things while playing.