Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: First builds: JK-1, MM-1Q

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JK1pic4.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	26593 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JK1PIC5.jpg 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	26594

Name:	JK1pic6.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	26595 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JK1pic7.jpg 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	26596

That looks pretty sweet to me - love the way the colour changes so much.

Thanks. Depending on the lighting, it follows the spectrum from a deep navy blue sparkle to a deep purple. With inside lighting, the shades are darker and not so wild, but when you get it in the sunlight, well, you see. Really happy with how it turned out despite using quite a few swear words while working on the finish.
    Last edited by Spychocyco; 25-05-2018 at 03:03 AM.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    It's come up great in the end.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Turning my full attention to the MM-1, I got a good bit done over the weekend. I got the body polished up and buffed. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it's not bad. Neck is on and tuners installed. I somehow lost one of the black bushings, so I've got a chrome one filling the spot until I can get another one. Also got the Floyd installed and discovered I'm missing the string retainer block for the low E. Not sure if I lost it or it was never there, but I'll be picking up a replacement this afternoon. This build is going to be mostly the stock kit hardware, though I have ordered a new pot, switch and pickups. I put a few stray strings I had laying around on it, and I think I'm looking at a lot of work setup wise. We'll see when I get the electronics in and get a full set of strings on.

Name:	Haxispolish.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	26684

Name:	Haxisbushing.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	26685

6. Liked by: christodav, wazkelly

Wowsers! That's quite a finish on that body.

Pickups for the MM-1 came in yesterday. I got them installed and got sound out of it for the first time. Classic PAFs are a little more laid back than the high output PUs I'm used to. That will take some adjustment. Still waiting on a jack plate that will work with the new jack, and I have some finishing touches to add and then a setup, but it looks at this point like I'll have a guitar ready for July GOTM, too.

I should get the second build finished up over the weekend. Found my black bushing for the tuners and got a replacement string block for the Floyd. It's wired, strung and working. I have to sort out out a "wee bit" of an action issue. I think I only need to lower it about a foot and a half. Relief is set up correctly, bridge screws are down as far as they'll go. I've got a little play in the trem claw to work with, but I'm probably going to have to end up shimming the neck as well.

Name:	haxisaction.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	26728

After that, it's just the little things -- cavity covers, etc. I'll definitely be adding a string retainer bar at some point. Most of my Floyd guitars have them, and after stringing this one, I see why. I found it pretty difficult to get a tight wrap as the string kept wanting to slide upward. I'm also 100 percent sure a Floyd upgrade is coming if I decide this one's a regular player. String blocks popped out of this one every time I moved it while stringing it up. I spent a lot of time on the floor trying to find where they bounced. Other than those little issues and the high action, though, it seems pretty solid at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Spychocyco View Post
    I should get the second build finished up over the weekend. Found my black bushing for the tuners and got a replacement string block for the Floyd. It's wired, strung and working. I have to sort out out a "wee bit" of an action issue. I think I only need to lower it about a foot and a half. Relief is set up correctly, bridge screws are down as far as they'll go. I've got a little play in the trem claw to work with, but I'm probably going to have to end up shimming the neck as well.

Name:	haxisaction.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	26728

After that, it's just the little things -- cavity covers, etc. I'll definitely be adding a string retainer bar at some point. Most of my Floyd guitars have them, and after stringing this one, I see why. I found it pretty difficult to get a tight wrap as the string kept wanting to slide upward. I'm also 100 percent sure a Floyd upgrade is coming if I decide this one's a regular player. String blocks popped out of this one every time I moved it while stringing it up. I spent a lot of time on the floor trying to find where they bounced. Other than those little issues and the high action, though, it seems pretty solid at this point.
    Top job mate despite the setbacks
    Fender electric Fat Strat mim. (Bought)
    Maton Electric Acoustic EM325C
    Pitbull Guitars ST-1 ( finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5970
    Pitbull Guitars SG-2 ( Finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6124

Pitbull Guitars JM-1 (Finished. 2018 June GOTM))http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7150
    Pitbull Guitars TL-1 (In production) [url]https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8676

Quote Originally Posted by nitroburner1000 View Post
    Top job mate despite the setbacks
    Thanks. I got the action down last night, but I'm still not quite happy with how it's playing. Tweaks continue. I also seem to have hit the live wire on my bridge pickup with the soldering iron at some point and got it a little melty so it's giving me some static trouble now. I'll need to go in and redo that over the weekend, too. Hopefully pics of the finished project on Monday, though.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast