Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Something rare... Denim & Pearl Tele

starting with the back... Learning experience so mistakes can sort of be hidden as the back of any axe is seldom seen...

It has been 24hrs since the Denim was glued on. A few minor spills with the glue cleaned up reasonably well.... Edge of the denim has also been trimmed, and the pearl binding has been only taped into place. Main reasons for only taping at this stage was trying to fit and bend and glue would most probably result in disaster, so fitting and bending without the glue at this stage... also helps me find any issues with any element not wanting to be in the correct place.

Rather than use a heat gun to soften the binding into its final shape I chose to leave it out in the tropical Spring sun for a few hours... Seems to have worked...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170925_153105_resized.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	457.4 KB 
ID:	22451  

This is looking pretty cool, saves on Tru oil too.... mind you the missus maybe won't like ironing the denim every week.... better watch she don't throw it in the wash..

That is already starting to look seriously rock and roll! Great concept Marcel, the execution is looking fantastic.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks FW

I love my rock-n-roll .....

Always loved the advert - mainly for the Pink Floyd style music. I believe Denim aftershave was called Menage in Australia - same basic advert apart from the product name. But the ad makes more sense if you know the product was supposed to be called Denim elsewhere (presumably there was already something similar called Denim in Australia).

Ahhh.... The allure of Denim...

A little progress today... Glued the rear binding ... It's not as good as I had envisioned, but it's passable for a first ever attempt at binding...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171004_180646_resized.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	329.1 KB 
ID:	22595  

I've been tossing up options... Not sure as to go Chrome or Gold hardware... Original conception was Chrome, but going Gold is teasing at me...

I have all the chrome parts on hand, but if I go Gold I'll probably option it up differently a bit with a ToneRider neck PU & Wilkinson bridge & maybe Grover 205 tuners.

Getting very undecided here...

You need to find some weather beaten gold, or brass to match the studs found on denim jeans.
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
    You need to find some weather beaten gold, or brass to match the studs found on denim jeans.
    The brass idea is solid.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast