Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Super confused about this kit's wiring...

Super confused about this kit's wiring...

Hey guys,

I'm totally new to this, and bought this cheap delay pedal kit off eBay for the soldering practice. I had a pretty good run at soldering all the components to the PCB, but I'm totally flummoxed by this wiring diagram they included.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R Stomp delay pedal.png 
Views:	257 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	22355

It's pixelated to buggery, and I don't know enough about wiring to understand what I'm looking at. This is what I THINK is happening, but if someone could correct me I'd really appreciate it...

The three lugs on the left hand side of the 3PDT switch are circuit input, guitar input and a jumper

The three lugs on the right are circuit output, guitar output, and the other side of the jumper

The middle three lugs confuse me. There is obviously a connection from the DC jack through the resistor and the LED, and then I'm assuming red lines are power connections, so the red line to the circuit is taking power from the jack (or battery) to the circuit?

Then the battery connections and grounds completely confuse me. I think the black battery connection is going to the top most lug on the input jack (yellow line)? And the red battery connection is going to the DC jack? Then I assume all the green lines are ground wires, and they all connect to the input jack?

Sorry for being so dim. I've spent ages reading forum posts about pedal wiring but I think I got information overload, and it just confused me even more
    Last edited by JohnH; 20-09-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Hey John, I'm not going to read your questions as I can't help you (haven't built a DIY pedal before) but send Matt (username mjg) a private message and ask him the questions, he has built multiple pedals and is very knowledgeable with the wiring side
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm totally new to this, and bought this cheap delay pedal kit off eBay for the soldering practice. I had a pretty good run at soldering all the components to the PCB, but I'm totally flummoxed by this wiring diagram they included.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R Stomp delay pedal.png 
Views:	257 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	22355

It's pixelated to buggery, and I don't know enough about wiring to understand what I'm looking at. This is what I THINK is happening, but if someone could correct me I'd really appreciate it...

The three lugs on the left hand side of the 3PDT switch are circuit input, guitar input and a jumper

The three lugs on the right are circuit output, guitar output, and the other side of the jumper

The middle three lugs confuse me. There is obviously a connection from the DC jack through the resistor and the LED, and then I'm assuming red lines are power connections, so the red line to the circuit is taking power from the jack (or battery) to the circuit?

Then the battery connections and grounds completely confuse me. I think the black battery connection is going to the top most lug on the input jack (yellow line)? And the red battery connection is going to the DC jack? Then I assume all the green lines are ground wires, and they all connect to the input jack?

Sorry for being so dim. I've spent ages reading forum posts about pedal wiring but I think I got information overload, and it just confused me even more

From what I can tell by using Windows 10's Photos application to enlarge the photo, the middle solder-lug of the 3PDT Footswitch is connected to the circuit-ground connection of the DC In socket, the other solder-lug directly below it is connected to the Led via a current-limiting resistor, hope that helps.

And yes, I agree, they don't make it very easy to read the wiring-diagram don't they?

Cheers Simon, that one is much easier to read.

Thanks everyone, but especially Simon! It makes so much more sense now I can see it properly, thanks a million. I owe you a beverage (I expect I'll owe you a few before long)
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

One more question, but should there be a connection from the 'out' of the circuit (top right of PCB) to the 3PDT switch? I hadn't noticed there wasn't one listed as I was so caught up trying to figure out what the lines all meant, but now I look at it, surely there needs to be some output from the circuit, right?
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    One more question, but should there be a connection from the 'out' of the circuit (top right of PCB) to the 3PDT switch? I hadn't noticed there wasn't one listed as I was so caught up trying to figure out what the lines all meant, but now I look at it, surely there needs to be some output from the circuit, right?

I noticed that too, so I think you're quite correct, it looks to me that whoever drew the wiring diagram forgot to include a wire going from the output pad on the PCB to the spare un-used solder lug on the 3PDT footswitch, so, if you connect a piece of wire up between those two points it should work fine, just remember to solder the wire to the signal out pad rather than the ground pad.

Out on PCB is connected to the bottom left unused lug on the switch.

The middle unused lug on the top row of the switch becomes 0V or earth when the switch is off or in bypass mode. That switch assembly is actually three vertical 2 position switches with the common of the switches along the horizontal centre line. When the switch is OFF the input jack is connected to the output jack via the jump wire thus creating the 'true bypass'. When the switch is ON the input jack is connected to the input on the PCB, the output of the PCB is connected to the output jack, and the 0V or earth is connected to the LED turning the LED on as it has the Red battery +ve or 9V plugpack connected to its other side.

10. Liked by: JohnH

Worth checking the track side of the PCB to see if the two holes that seem to be labelled 'out' are connected to the same track. If they aren't, then you might need to trace or use a multimeter to test if one of them is connected to the board's common ground, in which case the other is the one to use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast