Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chrissy's PRS-1TS

Chrissy's PRS-1TS

Got this back end of August, using Crimsons amber stain and their finishing oil... turning out a lot darker than what I wanted but its growing on me...slowly....all I need to decide now is the top..what colour...any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRS-1 [Guitar].jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	22319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRS [Guitar].jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	22320  

All up to you, mate. The back looks nice. You plan on using Crimson stains for the top as well? That limits your choice of exactly what colour to use. Ignore the colours you definitely won't want to use and what are you left with?

The original plan was a light amber back, sides and neck and a green top. don't think green goes with it now...

All depends on the shade of Green.... Maybe you could start with a very light shade, and then keep darkening it with repeated colour coats until you get a hue and depth that you like and are satisfied with... Keep in mind the clear will enrich and probably darken the colour coats..

PRS's are known for their unique and vibrant colours... why should your build be any less bold and different?

I'd be tempted to try and pop the grain with a darker stain, then use a light amber stain for the top - lighter than the back.

I've got a Hamer Artist which is quite a similar shape to the PRS. The back's about the same colour as yours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hamer Artist small.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	22346

Its top has a great flame, but it's not really brought out like it could be. In most lights you can't see the flame from any distance. But had it been popped so that the flame was much stronger, it would have a superb look.

I would agree with you Simon, one coat of the amber was a nice finish...I did 2 on the back then the oil which made it as dark as it is now, to put a dark coat on, say black, then sand it off frightens the hell outa me with that top being so thin

I'd use a dark brown rather than black, and just rag it on and then rag it off again with a damp cloth after a few minutes. However it's probably not a technique you want to try for the first time on the real thing.

My Vintage V100 Lemon Drop was popped in black by the factory, and it ended up looking tiger striped, rather than the mellow amber and dark brown of the original Peter Green/Gary Moore LP. The black has faded over time to more of a brown, so it's looking better now than it did when new.

The crimson stains at best can be described as a water consistency... so soak in straight away, no chance to rag off... that said I am coming round to the finish you can get with their oil, getting quite shiny at the moment, lightly wet sanding oil on the 4th and now 6th coat, one more will do I think...all learning ready for the next one and tru oil.....

Gone purple since I had it .... a couple of glue spots which would not remove, stained the top let it dry a while, lightly sanded with 1500 then re applied, covered it up better but not perfect.. hey ho...

Name:	purple [Guitar].jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	22426  

Got a couple of items somehow need to correct.... the neck to me sits really high in the pocket as per pic, but running a straight edge through to the bridge, that will sit up but not that high so don't think need to take anything off the heel?...
    Next issue is from nut to 12th fret centre is 313 mm... from 12th to front of bridge is 320mm, the neck would go in a bit more but then the humbucker wouldn't fit.. its tight now, any ideas gents. anyone else had a similar issue?

Name:	neck [Guitar].jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	22433  
    Last edited by chrissyinbkk; 24-09-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast