Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Scratch bass build- "The Folly"

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    For bass piezo bridges, there's the Schaller Bass 2000 series. Also Graphtec Ghost bass piezo saddles for P-style, ABM or Hipshot A style bridges (you can get the A-style complete with the piezo saddles from Hipshot). Those seem to be the main ones.
    Oo a Schaller would be nice...😀
    "Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

Mentor

Today's progress.

Finalised shaping of the neck- now we enter the time of eternal sanding...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1519199312410.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	24930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1519199302924.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	24931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1519199291984.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	24932  
    Last edited by Bass Guy; 21-02-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Mentor

And then we made executive decision...

The Thylacine will sport a reverse headstock (rough design sketched out) and I've redone the chambering area. I can chew out more of the body than before now that I don't need to worry about the neck join.

Name:	FB_IMG_1519199322140.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	24933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1519199330033.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	24934  

4. Liked by: Guvna19

I'd double check your headstock machinehead positions if you want a straight string-pull. Which way do you plan to have the strings go around the string posts - clockwise or anti-clockwise? I'll refer to the orientation shown in the photo, where the bottom E string is as on the 'top' side and the G string as on the 'bottom' side.

If clockwise (which I'd say is more normal), then the top edge of each string post needs to be level with the bottom edge of the associated nut slot. If anti-clockwise, then the bottom edge of each string post needs to be level with the top of each nut slot.

As drawn (and assuming a clockwise string wrap), it looks like the strings will be splayed upwards.

I'd spend some time drawing the basic nut and hole locations on some tracing paper, then mark those on the headstock, and then look at the outline. Note that the string posts will be a bit smaller than the required hole size, and the exact dimensions will depend on the machineheads chosen. Also dependent on the machinehead choice is the amount of wood required between each hole and the bottom edge of the headstock.

I've been trying to fit my bassist's choice of standard Fender sized Hipshot clover-leaf tuners on the EB4 build headstock, but with the larger Xtender tuner on the bottom E, it was impossible to get a layout that worked, so now I've had to order some of the Hipshot mini-tuners. Those standard clover-leafs take up a lot of real-estate.

I'd assume your hole locations will probably need to be moved down a bit, which might affect your headstock design as a result. You may even need to glue another piece to the bottom of the headstock if you aren't going for compact tuners. So it's much better to double check everything now, rather than find out after holes have been drilled and shapes cut.

Mentor
    Assumptions are dangerous... 😉

The tuning machines I'm looking at are essentially lefties and mini-clover leafs, so it should be streamlined to the eye and operate in the "correct" orientation.

In no way are the positions finalised- this was purely to get an idea in physical form. I won't be going anywhere near shaping the headstock until the nut arrives so I can align the placement of the tuners with the actual nut spacing.

Lots of things to do before these bits of carvery- cutting the channel for truss rod for one. Ordering the truss rod for another...

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Guy View Post
    Assumptions are dangerous... 😉

The tuning machines I'm looking at are essentially lefties and mini-clover leafs, so it should be streamlined to the eye and operate in the "correct" orientation.

In no way are the positions finalised- this was purely to get an idea in physical form. I won't be going anywhere near shaping the headstock until the nut arrives so I can align the placement of the tuners with the actual nut spacing.

Lots of things to do before these bits of carvery- cutting the channel for truss rod for one. Ordering the truss rod for another...
    ALS stock some well priced two way adjustment rods, he says having bought one specifically to shorten drastically for a baritone neck. (My wasn’t that a fun exercise!)
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

The necks looking good man. You’ve inspired me to pull out my drawing pad and start sketching out some more designs (I’ve given up on illustrator lol)
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

This is incredible Bass Guy.
    I can sort of see that building a body from scratch is humanly possible but a neck !!! So much precision work required and so much potential for error! Amazing work.

10. Liked by: FrankenWashie

Mentor

The point of no return...

Gluing the wings to the neck. It's starting to become an instrument now...

Name:	FB_IMG_1519953765126.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	25168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1519953768856.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	25169  

Very cool. I especially like the echidna standing guard over it.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast