Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GOTM thoughts and suggestions

I think the sum of all parts of the build are to be considered. The wiring on some kits is a lot harder than other kits. The finishing of some is different as per ones with binding take more patience when taping up etc. Whether or not someone go to the trouble of levelling the fret board etc etc etc. All of those things should be considered, as per what most of us have said. Each judge can give points as to what they deem is important to them. A build diary gives huge weight to the strugles we have all experienced in one or more aspects of the build. I don't believe upgrades should be part of the criteria because a lot of us can't afford that. For me personally the finish is a major part of a build and should be judged accordingly. I don't reckon anyone here has got it right first time, I know how many extra cans of paint I had to order. As Andy40 said it's not everything, I agree, but for something that requires a ton of patience and trial and error, sometimes re do's, lets be upfront with what we have done ourselves and what we have had done for us. In the end the judges can decide. JB
    Last edited by JB RETRO; 18-09-2017 at 04:39 AM.
    Builds to date
    #1, 3 string box guitar
    #2, GR-1SF, November guitar of the month 2016
    #3, Charvel Surfcaster tribute scratch build. ( Completed )
    #4, Pawn shop Strat ( Completed )
    #5, Current build MM-1Q

I think it's important that GOTM be recognised for what it is - a bit of fun, and a chance for some honest and positive feedback. There is no prize, outside of bragging rights. The judges don't get to see the guitars in person. To hold them, play them, see the finish up close and personal. All judgements are extremely subjective. But because there is a panel of judges, not just one or two, I think the extremes of our views get balanced out.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

I tend to agree with Fretty
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Spot on Fretty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Hey all, I'm fine if a builder gets outside help with finish, wiring or whatever it maybe. I was a bit harsh with my initial comments and appreciate that Klegacy disclosed his entry was painted by a professional. In future if the entrant is honest and up front the judges can judge accordingly. Everyone has a different view so as Fretty says the scores will balance out with the different view/eye of each judge. I was just trying to protect the amatuer builders and thought it was a slightly unfair advantage.
    As said its a fun competition. Let's keep it this way.
    I apologised to Klegacy and hope he continues with his great looking builds and build them how you like and get as much help as you like, it's your axe after all.
    As DB suggested in the Rocktober thread, its fair to judge the entry on the other aspects of the build.
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 16-09-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

6. Liked by: JB RETRO

All good comments guys but when judging I am like Andy and want to read the build diary and see what was done in the process of creating the finished product. For me, no build diary makes it harder to score higher than a similarly finished axe that does have one. Irrespective, I always try and provide positive or constructive feedback, avoiding any criticism at all costs in fear of offending or those comments being misunderstood. We just need to take on board how much emotional attachment each builder may have with their creation that has been offered up for judges opinions.

And as Brendan spells out each time he contacts judges it comes down to which guitar would you make a bee line for if you saw it in a guitar shop or the one you would want to take home. I think this is the base line criteria and any extras are just a bit of sauce on top.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

8. Liked by: JB RETRO

I think the most important thing is, as others have said, we aren't playing for sheep stations here! GOTM is fun thing. On that basis I think all the "full disclosure but anything goes" comments are spot on.

Now from a personal perspective, I do think finish is a very important aspect of a build. When using a kit, a build is really a process of finish and assembly. Unless you get into reshaping or creating new bits and pieces from scratch there isn't a great deal of "building" per se. The one caveat to that is when a builder has to fix things that have gone wrong - and as Andy and Waz say, that's something you learn in the build diary. So aside from the all-important "would I take her home" factor, the finish - and the skill/effort in achieving that look - is a big factor. Of course that's the advantage of a panel of judges - it generally all works out in the end!
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

10. Liked by: JB RETRO, wazkelly

One of the things that really impressed me about this forum is the positive attitude of the community in offering help and assistance during our builds. No Trolls upsetting the apple cart 😏. We all get various levels of help through our build diaries - it would be a shame to see any of that disappear in the interests of GOTM, so, professional help or otherwise let's keep the judging and feedback fun, comments positive and informative.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2