Thread: Does anyone have access to a small TIG or MIG welder?

Does anyone have access to a small TIG or MIG welder?

I'm thinking primarily of guys in the inner west/west of sydney.
    I have a need to weld a shortened bass truss rod, but most of the shops and fabricators won't even set up for the two 10mm welds I need done.

Happy to negotiate a beer economy transaction for your trouble!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Last time I needed a mig (earlier this year) it was around $40 to hire for 24hrs. And it was a decent unit with all consumables included. I only had to do a 300mm seam, so they didn't even charge me for gas or anything as the amount I used was so negligible. That's about a carton in cost....

I have a Mig and live in Sutherland and happy to do it for you but am away until 2nd week in October if no one else puts their hand up.

Only set up for mild steel

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Last time I needed a mig (earlier this year) it was around $40 to hire for 24hrs. And it was a decent unit with all consumables included. I only had to do a 300mm seam, so they didn't even charge me for gas or anything as the amount I used was so negligible. That's about a carton in cost....
    SO who was that through Sonic, one of the hire mobs like Coates etc?
    FrankenLab

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    I have a Mig and live in Sutherland and happy to do it for you but am away until 2nd week in October if no one else puts their hand up.

Only set up for mild steel
    Thanks Dave, I'm probably going to need to get it done in the next couple of weeks else that particular build is going to stall out. If I get stuck I may hit you up in October, thanks for the offer.
    Everything else is either curing, drying or waiting for me to rebuild my spray booth so I wan to continue with this one if possible.
    FrankenLab

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    It was in Toowoomba and I think it was Cigweld. But yeah Coates definitely do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    It was in Toowoomba and I think it was Cigweld. But yeah Coates definitely do them.
    Cheers Sonic, i'll have a hunt around and see what i can find.
    FrankenLab

When we did the major chassis mods on my son's HiLux we hired a big MIG from Coates because I only had a little 130A one then.

I've now got a 200A one that is good for anything I can throw at it, cost $1K on special but in reality is far bigger than the average home handyman will use most of the time.

The little gas bottles are useless, nothing smaller than a D cylinder with proper regulators and gasless cored wire is really only for windy outdoor use on the farm and makes far too much mess.

Note: don't weld in multifocals unless you want to weld in circles or transition lenses with an auto darkening helmet ( no need to ask how I know this ), cheap readers from the servo or chemist is what you want

Edited to add: flash burns hurt so cover up properly and use proper welding gauntlets