Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guitar design - what programs are people using?

Guitar design - what programs are people using?

Just wondering what programs are being used to generate their own guitar designs? I've been noodling around in illustrator for the past few days, but I've never found it the most intuitive program and am curious to know if there's a program people prefer.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Illustrator really is the best option, but it is a very steep learning curve. Apart from being able to make nice pretty drawings, its also excellent for outputting DXF files to drive routers and cutters, so it is worth the effort to get your head around.

Learn the pen tool, pathfinder and the align and distribute functions and you will be well on the way. I can answer any questions you have (I've been working with it professionally for 15 years), but you tube tutorials are one of the better options for learning specific skills.

Overlord of Music
    I use CorelDraw, mostly because I've been using it for work for the past 12 or so years, so it's pretty natural to me and very easy to then pull apart to make autocad files for laser/CNC use.

At home I use Inkscape, which is very similar to Corel, but it's open source and free to use.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

I use a pencil and a piece of paper!! I know that's no help, but unless I wanted to replicate a design I'm happy with getting a rough shape and then letting it emerge as I sand/rasp/jigsaw it.
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

5. Liked by: JB RETRO

Thanks guys!

Looks like Illustrator isn't a bad plan after all, so I'll persevere.

Ha ha, Chuck, normally that would be me too! Tech drawing was my best subject at school, and I still draw up plans sometimes for fun. I'm super time poor with the kids at the minute, and also amazingly have free access to the Physics Makerspace at ANU (joys on being on the payroll) so suddenly the idea of finding time to build isn't so daunting as I can get templates laser cut and have access to their CNC. Only problem so far is I'm useless at generating the files they need!
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Ty INKSCAPE, it's free.

Sort of like how GIMP is to PHOTOSHOP, INKSCAPE is to ILLUSTRATOR, both do the same things, the paid version makes using them a bit easier, but truth be told, not much real difference unless you are a power user.
    https://inkscape.org/en/

Yep I used inkscape for my decals as vectors are a lot easier to manipulate.

Super belated thanks for all the help guys. I'll have a crack at Inkscape to see if I find it any more intuitive, but have been finding Illustrator ok so far (if very confusing).

I do have one question for anyone who uses Illustrator (here's looking at you Sonic). how in god's name do you set scales for things? Like the width of the nut, or the length of the neck? I've done some googling but am drawing a blank (possibly using wrong terminology?)
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Super belated thanks for all the help guys. I'll have a crack at Inkscape to see if I find it any more intuitive, but have been finding Illustrator ok so far (if very confusing).

I do have one question for anyone who uses Illustrator (here's looking at you Sonic). how in god's name do you set scales for things? Like the width of the nut, or the length of the neck? I've done some googling but am drawing a blank (possibly using wrong terminology?)
    Yes, i have had some similar issues, particularly in trying to measure things up and get things right.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Yes, i have had some similar issues, particularly in trying to measure things up and get things right.
    I'm finding it pretty infuriating. It was one of the reasons I stopped working on the designs I'd had on the go; I could draw designs I was mostly happy with, but couldn't figure out how to render them as genuine technical drawings. I got reinspired when I found this fret calculator today (http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/), but a few hours in and I'm tempted to give up again. It's so much easier to draw by hand! (At least for me)
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast