Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Guitar design - what programs are people using?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I'm finding it pretty infuriating. It was one of the reasons I stopped working on the designs I'd had on the go; I could draw designs I was mostly happy with, but couldn't figure out how to render them as genuine technical drawings. I got reinspired when I found this fret calculator today (http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/), but a few hours in and I'm tempted to give up again. It's so much easier to draw by hand! (At least for me)
    Yes. I know EXACTLY how you feel....
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

If I didn't have access to a laser cutter I think I'd just draw it and hand cut my templates, but I feel like it will be worth the hassle IN THE END. It's just that getting there will be tedium itself.

On the upside, I knocked up a quick multi-scale baritone sketch that I'm pretty happy with, even if it's only a rough first draft (and rather too clearly 'inspired' by a Padalka guitar)
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Super belated thanks for all the help guys. I'll have a crack at Inkscape to see if I find it any more intuitive, but have been finding Illustrator ok so far (if very confusing).

I do have one question for anyone who uses Illustrator (here's looking at you Sonic). how in god's name do you set scales for things? Like the width of the nut, or the length of the neck? I've done some googling but am drawing a blank (possibly using wrong terminology?)
    Hi John,

Yeah its a bugger. I completely understand how frustrating it can be. The problem is that you can do so much in it the options are daunting.

I started writing a "quick" crash course, but there is so much to cover. To answer your question - I use the shape tool to create objects to scale.

So for a nut that is say 42mm x 3mm I select the rectangle tool in the shapes pallet and then click on the work space. This brings up a little dimensions dialogue box. So I enter the width first and height second (to avoid extra mouse work hit tab to switch fields). You can draw a box like that to 3 decimal points of a mm. You can work out all your sizing like that and then either lock it or create a new layer, and draw over the top of it.

Have you played with the pathfinder and align pallets? Apart from the pen and selection tool those are the most important thing to know how to use. The pathfinder pallet allows you to merge shapes and cut shapes from each other as well as several other useful functions. The align and distribute pallet allows you to exactly centre objects to each other or the centre of the art board. It also lets you evenly distribute objects between them selves or to set distances. With those tools + a bit of creative fiddling with the pen tools and anchor points you can do a lot.

To do the kind of stuff you want I would look for tutorials on those things.

Selection tools (black and white pointers)
    Shape Tools
    Pathfinder
    Align and Distribute.

I'd love to be able to demonstrate exactly what I'm talking about, but its hard to describe succinctly on the forum and I'm sure there will be videos of people better than me at explaining them.

EDIT: Yes there definitely is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSkmAwIEHKI

This guy moves very quickly, but of course you can scroll back and watch again.

The thing I always say about illustrator is - its like eating an elephant. You just need to take one bite at a time. Its good that you have something you want to do as that gives you specific things to learn. Keep at it and I'll try and answer any questions as best I can.
    Last edited by Sonic Mountain; 03-01-2018 at 06:11 PM.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks for that Sonic, I shall put it to good use

“IGOR! Raise the antenna, we are going to need maximum bandwidth....”
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks so much Sonic! When I get back into town tonight I'll watch that youtube vid and do some more noodling about - shall see how we go.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

No worries, he was the first result when I searched, but there are heaps of others. So if you don't like his style you can find someone else. If you learn those tools/pallettes you will be well on the way.

I should also mention that you may need to go into preferences and makes sure 'units' is set to mm not inch or points. I have everything setup metric for work so I forget other people may be using different workspace setups.

Units are def set to mm (the first thing I did when I installed it lol). I've definitely had more success this evening using the shapes to set dimenions, even if only as bounding boxes for organic/curved shapes. I hit a complete roadblock when I tried drawing the multi-scale neck though. It may have to be a task for another night lol
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Yes, getting the guitar scales right its very tricky. I'm sure there is a better way - but at the moment I would do it fret by fret. Don't worry about tapering them initially, you can just use the same width rectangle over and over and trim it later.

Doing a logarithmic spacing is something I've been meaning to look into. There is probably a plug in. But really, there are other fish for you to fry at the moment getting used to the software.

Another handy hint. If you click an object and hold 'Alt' then drag it, you will get a copy of it. It works with grouped objects as well. I find if I'm messing around with ideas its nice to duplicate and work on a clone, just in case.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Ahhh, that's cool - I was duplicating layers so I could mess around with copies that way. I guess it made sense to me from my Photoshoping days
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2