Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SG 1 Kit - Action

SG 1 Kit - Action

Hi - JUst completed an SG 1 Kit and am generally happy with it - however the action at the top of the neck (i.e., above the 12th fret ) is too high. I've tried adjusting the neck but that hasn't improved the action noticeably. Wondering whether to try to recess the bridge studs into the body by a few mm might work to reduce the action. Are there any other options I should consider?

G'day mate. If you could add a picture or two, that would help diagnose the problem.

Hi Caitken, is the SG-1 kit a set neck ? Don't sink the bridge posts. The nut could and probably is too high and you can adjust your truss rod could reduce the action above the 12th fret. The neck may have bad back bow would cause the strings to be too high.
    Can you please post a couple of pictures of your current setup from the side of the neck?
    Was the neck heel glued flush in the pocket ?
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 22-08-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

The neck is set and was glued flush - I've tried truss adjustment but doesn't seem to have made too much of a difference. Photos uploaded
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1574.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	425.8 KB 
ID:	21824

Name:	IMG_1575.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	382.3 KB 
ID:	21825

Name:	IMG_1576.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	518.9 KB 
ID:	21826

Hi Caitken,
    the nut is a little high but the string height at 22nd fret is way too high. Have you tried winding the truss rod clockwise like the diagram ? Loosen the string tension before you do that.
    While it is tuned put a long steel ruler along the fingerboard and see if you can work out if the neck has back or forward bow. Also have a look down the neck from the bottom of the guitar and see if the neck has been pulled a little out of the pocket so the headstock is higher than it should be.

Completed builds

Yes - have tried clockwise adjustment of truss - see photos - the neck has slight curve back, the neck join is flush. The only thing I can see that would give the degree of improvement needed would be to lower the bridge studs. Its almost like the neck is angled incorrectly - however this would mean that it was originally machined incorrectly.

Placing a ruler on the neck shows it has a slight backward bow.

Any alternative suggestion - running out of options here

Name:	IMG_1578.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	434.8 KB 
ID:	21834

Name:	IMG_1579.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	468.6 KB 
ID:	21835

Name:	IMG_1581.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	564.3 KB 
ID:	21836
    Last edited by caitken; 22-08-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Caitken I will compare your pics to my SG-1F and see if anything is different like fingerboard heights etc.
    Try winding the truss rod all the way anti clockwise and leave for a day. Let us know if the action gets worse than it is now. Then try winding it all the way back clockwise. It may take a few days for the neck to settle under string tension.
    If that doesn't work then you may have to sink the bridge posts.

Completed builds

Cool - would appreciate the comparison (could post some photos?). In the meantime I've set the truss totally anti-clockwise - and will leave it overnight and then re-try clockwise.

It may not be worth sinking the bridge posts as you'll only gain about 1-1.5mm as the bottom of the bridge will then hit the body. You'd be better off deepening the notches on the saddles to get the same result. It's a lot easier! The nut slots also look a bit high, so sanding down the base of the nut or using nut files to deepen the slots will also help get the action down a bit.

However, it really looks like the neck angle needs to change, which means removing the neck and doing some sanding. Now, removing the neck won't be that easy and hopefully you used PVA,standard Titebond or hide glue to glue it in the first place.

There are lots of YouTube video about removing necks, but basically you either need to use steam or a hot spatula in the joint, or warm the wood up as best you can to get the glue to soften whilst gently but firmly prising the joint apart.

Thinking if I have to go to this level of effort I should be asking for a refund or replacement neck at the very least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast