Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Black Dog P Bass - First build

Quote Originally Posted by VoxMechanica View Post
    Thanks Wokka. Don't recall seeing a truss nut key in the kit (but I wasn't particularly looking). The 4m/m feels right but I though it best to ask first. I do remember reading Gavin1393's comment that a broken truss rod is not an afternoon's repair job!
    Normally in with the lead I seem to remember.....

Thanks Chrissy. I was never going to use the kit supplied lead (prefer a 'real' one) so I never got to open the plastic bag.

4mm is a standard size, so most likely correct

Red face What have I created??

Greetings Fellow Kitters.
    The Black Dog Exactitude Bass was given a voice a couple of weeks ago, thanks to the soldering skills of my PhD Electronics Engineer friend. (He still has difficulty understanding why it has a relatively enormous 47pF paper-in-oil capacitor! ).
    The end result is a P-Bass of Doom! The sustain is amazing! Ash body with Maple fretboard, I had originally fitted a Fender High Mass bridge but had to replace it a Fender bridge (circa '58, with threaded saddles) because a 50+ second sustain was too much and the D & G strings were vibrating in sympathy.

I now have something a bit more manageable but pluck a string with a volume turned of and the body vibrates through my ribcage. Is this normal for a P-Bass?

I feel like Homer Simpson at the 0:31'' point in the Homer Plays Bass episode.

BTW, I had to shim the neck pocket up to get within the adjustment range of the saddles and get the string heights right. Brass shimstock has more than an engineering use!

Question P-Bass 'Ashtrays'

Can anyone tell me why the 1950s-60s P-Bass had a cover over the pickups? I can understand the ashtray over the bridge - to improve the looks, but the pickup cover is a mystery.

Mentor
    "Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

Definitely worth 2 minutes 20.

And, clearly the cover has now come into its own... it just had to wait for technology to catch up.
    Scott.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4