Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tips on U-Beaut dye application?

Tips on U-Beaut dye application?

Hey All,

Getting to the point with my GR-1SF build where I will apply the colour. I'm using U-Beaut water-based dye, which I've never used before. The instructions on their website are fairly general, so was wondering if anyone had some tips for me specifically for guitar use, along the lines of:

1. What's the best way to apply it - brush, sponge or rag? (or spray maybe?)
    2. Slip slop slap or be frugal?
    3. Should I apply it warm or cold?
    4. Will it stain the binding? I know some plastics (nylon especially) are easily dyeable... so I guess is the binding used on the kits made from nylon or similar plastic?
    5. When to sand or not? For example, after each coat or 2, 3, 4?

Anything else you can think of.

Cheers,

Pete

Overlord of Music
    I've used Ubeaut stains for a while now. Love them. First thing is they are concentrated, so dilute them at least 1:1 water to stain (I usually end up at about 3:1 and get good coverage and vivid colours).

1. Rag works for me.
    2. Work it in. Not too much in one go. I use a circular motion and try to keep each pass as even as possible.
    3. Cold is fine. Never tried it hot.
    4. Yes. Binding is usually ABS and will easily scrape or steel wool clean.
    5. Sand up to 240 or a bit higher. Go over a few times with a damp rag to raise the grain and fine sand again. Then apply colour, then clear coat. No sanding in between colour and clear coat.

Depending on your mix and what colour you are trying achieve, you should only need one or two coats.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Overlord of Music
    Oh, and if you are mixing colours to get a specific shade, progressively add only very small amounts of colour and write down every step so you end up with an accurate "recipe" for your colour mix. This means if you need to touch up later or you run out half way through you can achieve the same shade repeatably.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Thank you, kind sir. Was planning to try the dilution tomorrow, but 3:1 sounds like a good starting point. Will post the results in my build diary.

Cheers,

fP

If you want a fairly light shade you can dilute the U-Beaut dyes quite a lot and still get quite impressive results....

My ES-1TL build was done using concentrations of 100 drops into 75ml of ambient temp water on both the Blue and Green coats.
    On my RCM-4F build the Purple is 25 drops of Blue and 50 drops of Red in 75ml of water mix, Then after sanding the Pink wash later was 40 drops of Red into 75ml of water.

I only use higher concentrations on the Red dye as thinner concentrations tend to come out Pink, and with Black which becomes Grey. All the other colours just go lighter/paler when thinned with water.
    Last edited by Marcel; 18-08-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Marcel,

The dilution will give you a good single coat result. But, should you apply mutiple coats the colour will deepen.

Honestly...my finishing exploits have not been that good....But I am doing the pore filling at 120 grit....sand after at 180...and then do the nap lifting at 240...threee times normally. I NEVER SAND ANY FURTHER THAN THIS. The wood, especially the soft Basswood, goes shiny on the surface and it is very hard to get stain to take evenly after that.

So....get all your marks out at 120grit. Then pore fill...sometimes more than once...sand off to 180. Three nap lifting with damp rag and light 240 sand. Then as many coats of stain as you wish....normally I look at three.

First one is pretty intense.....a secret I found on YouTube....is to keep the stain moving....as in...wipe it on and keep it moving until it soaks in....don't let it sit as it forms tide marks. The second coat just a little lighter....but the same....keep it moving. You should notice that the colour is even across the wood, and the only variation will be the natural tones in the wood itself. The third coat will deepen the colour.....not just darken....but evens out the colour range and gives it more depth.

It is great stuff mate.

Also, when someone says 'stop at X grit' with sandpaper make sure it is fresh X grit paper. Over using a piece of sandpaper can end up polishing the wood even at lower grits. If I'm sanding up to say 240 grit I'll always make sure the last passes are done with a fresh piece of paper, just to be safe.
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Just like wiping your bum.
    You wipe your bum with 240 grit? I don't know whether to be impressed or horrified!
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast