Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bouzouki...Electric Mandolin.. ??

Bouzouki...Electric Mandolin.. ??

It was during the (unresolved) discussions with the minister for finance over the RBM-1F that she decided to put on 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' which had me listening to Greek Bouzouki music.

My interest (as a builder) having been sparked a latter search on Google on both Bouzouki's and Mandolins showed up some interesting instruments. One of particular interest was a solid body electric mandolin made by Fender ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandolin.

I think it would be an interesting and quite different instrument when compared to more mainstream guitars...

Quite happy to be shot down in flames, but ..... comments anyone?

Here is some greek bouzouki music (it comes it about 45 secs) most probably haven't heard. Sent to me by a Greek DJ friend. Who's have thunk it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7f9kQDzQW8

But I have thought of a mando, but will think about ti more when I have guitar down LOL
    Last edited by Dedman; 04-06-2017 at 07:37 PM.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

When my Dad passed on I was given his mandolins. One is a Suzuki which I do not know how he played it due to the fact the neck had a bad back bow so anything above the 5th fret was the same as the 20th fret and the frets were very worn. Once I freed up the truss rod and levelled the frets it plays quite well. He also had a banjo mandolin that needed a new skin and tuners but it is what I was told as a bass version and weighs more than my guitars and is very heavy and difficult to hold. The last one is an electric Daion that needs a little bit of TLC but sounds great out of my Fender amp playing Smoke on the water. Very unique to say the least. I am about to order a custom 12 string but now I am very interested in making a solid body mandolin as until I read what you have written did not know they existed. Was thinking of going off on a tangent and maybe using a scaled down SG or maybe an LP shaped body but will have to do a little bit of research and clear it though the correct channels. (wife)

I think this may have been kicked around in the past. I know I would love a mandola or something like that. But if not I may still go this direction at some time with the mini-ST kit.

http://www.emando.com/builders_activ...structions.htm
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

I found a US website that sells the real thing, but when you translate that back to $AU and add freight you truly wonder if it is all worth it... Someone would have to be pretty serious about learning to play to even get a cheap one... no mucking around crap here...

http://www.bouzouki.org/pictures/

If we could build a tele body with a bouzouki scale neck (4x4 tuning holes paddle headstock, but would probably require a custom template for the factory to work with), the project could be doable, but the hard part is finding a bridge that could work. That's the tricky part... Finding other parts that already exist to use in a kit like this. The only other option is to only sell the body and neck, and let the builder pick and choose parts. I'd be down for the that option, but many people rely on kit hardware to make their axes.

For a bouzouki, I imagine a 12 string bridge and nut could be wrangled into service, although it would look somewhat make-shift.
    If you like Greek music and guitar music, give this a go...
    https://youtu.be/romVeYGa5CI?t=2m58s

A lot of the top line bazouki players add a quarter tone fret between the nut & 1st fret, not sure why but a young Greek guy who worked for me had his modded and told me it was fairly common

...and if we're talking about bouzoukies, why not their Russian flying V cousin: the balalaika

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	balalaika.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	263.8 KB 
ID:	21569
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_n5619nsepn1r9nnajo1_500.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	21570

Or Jeff Lang's electric saz.....
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast